Sign in to follow this  
Top Secret

Quick question RE: piston rings

Hi guys,

I'm looking at this: BMW, but it uses a 'little' bit of oil. Now obviously that word is subjective, so in the worst case scenario, I'd have to replace the piston rings.

How much do these usually go for? Will it be the standard M20B25 piston rings?

Thanks in advance

I think my last quote I got from Gavin at Euroitalian was for $230+GST for M20 piston ring kit.

Thank you for the quick reply.

What about headgasket kits?

I assume those parts (headgasket + rings) are all I'd need to solve the oil problem?

heres the expensive part. I believe if its the same as a 320i headgasket price, it will be $351 odd $$$ for the kit. I hate to say it but find someone that works @ repco that can get it for you, I think same kit costs around $130.00

Changing Pistons rings can turn into a total engine rebuild quite quickly if the job is to be done right.

Piston Rings should only be replaced if the engine block is cleaned and honed.

By this stage you also need a new head gasket and a lower gasket set, and you might find that the main and big end bearings need replaced too.

Not forgetting that Most engines which need rings probally also need a new cambelt water pump and tensioner.

Not to mention if the valves are seating correctly which should all be checked as these all affect how well the engine runs.

I'm sorry to say you might be in for at least a $1000 if the engine does not have an

otherwise good service history.( ie rebuilt head & new waterpump and cam belt )

Just my 2C

Changing Pistons rings can turn into a total engine rebuild quite quickly if the job is to be done right.

Piston Rings should only be replaced if the engine block is cleaned and honed.

By this stage you also need a new head gasket and a lower gasket set, and you might find that the main and big end bearings need replaced too.

Not forgetting that Most engines which need rings probally also need a new cambelt water pump and tensioner.

Not to mention if the valves are seating correctly which should all be checked as these all affect how well the engine runs.

I'm sorry to say you might be in for at least a $1000 if the engine does not have an

otherwise good service history.( ie rebuilt head & new waterpump and cam belt )

Just my 2C

couldnt have said it better myself.

unless your going to go the whole hog i wouldnt even give it a secont thought

Turns out it's got "new cam belt, water pump, tensioner, spark plugs", so it seems as if he has maintained it properly. The interior is very tidy also, and he described fuel economy with MPG, so he's probably not a young guy. (bar those disgusting tail lights, though he has standards)

I'll have a think.

Cheers

The speedo is in miles so the fuel gauge will be too.

Looks like it could be a dog.

Bearing in mind piston rings are not the only things that could cause the car to smoke, there are a few things, such as valve stem seals for example.

Hmmm I'd love those headers!

You say "so in the worst case scenario, I'd have to replace the piston rings.", I say "best case scenario, I'd have to replace the piston rings.". Unless you're lucky and its only valve guides. Which means a reco'd head.

Replacing piston rings only is pretty pointless if you have the engine out and apart.

Do you really want to pay more than $4000 for a car that burns oil?

Eek, doesn't sound like it's the best buy then. Who drove it if you can remember?

I wasn't going to offer anywhere near 4g for it, but regardless I don't want a nugget.

Cheers :lol:

Eek, doesn't sound like it's the best buy then. Who drove it if you can remember?

I wasn't going to offer anywhere near 4g for it, but regardless I don't want a nugget.

Cheers :lol:

And after you fix the oil problem you are gonna have to fix that tail light problem as well! Those lenses are sh*t!

Haha, it comes with standards.

Saw your car the other day, when I was driving through some random back streets in Pyes Pa. Looks great