Sign in to follow this  
savvi

m20 coolant probs

car pr f/l e30 325

having issues with a coolant leak which i suspect to be a partially damaged h/d gasket at the front of the head where the 2 coolant pipes attatch 1 for block 1 for head i assume, first i thought 1 of the pipes had a split in it but checked all pipes all good, oil is not milky coolant is normal apart from some rusty coloured coolant but has always been that way, ive also read that pinking is a good sign of a damaged h/d gasket to

travelled to chch for the meet/cruise and and had to top up 3-4 times over 400 k cos the coolant light would come on engine temp would stay under half on hghway put when under load to pass temp creeped up just over half

any helpfull thoughts appreciated

Have you checked that it isnt the water pump leaking?

no i havnt, will now

cheers

Have you checked that it isnt the water pump leaking?

My thoughts as well or a corroded thermostat housing

You should be able to move the fan from side to side if the bearings in the pump are shot.

They can also leak with no play in the bearing as well

You should be able to move the fan from side to side if the bearings in the pump are shot.

if it is just the pump should i bother with a new gasket set as well

If the waterpump is leaking just replace waterpump, cambelt and tensioner, since these all have to be removed anyway, I would give it a new thermostat also. No need to touch the head gasket if theres nothing wrong with it.

If the waterpump is leaking just replace waterpump, cambelt and tensioner, since these all have to be removed anyway, I would give it a new thermostat also. No need to touch the head gasket if theres nothing wrong with it.

yeah thats a good point, motors done 320thou ive done at least 50thou of them probly due for h/d gkt which wont be cheap at mechanics,

mmmmm maybe its m50-52 time

Yep, my 320 is doing exactly the same as yours, have parked her up in the corner of the garage with a disconnected battery to hibernate while I save up some spare cash to carry out a sinister (or not) conversion, no point poring money into an old horse.

The hard part is going to be saving up for parts and being “cool†carless for a while :(