Sign in to follow this  
dean

Towbar e46 328i 2000

Hey,

Does anyone know a good place in Auckland to get tow bars fitted. Any deals for bimmersport?.

Hey,

Does anyone know a good place in Auckland to get tow bars fitted. Any deals for bimmersport?.

Best Bars...Penrose... no deals as far as I am aware though

Wow not cheap. Best deal i've got so far is $929.

Hopefully be able to get one through work.

Yeah I choked when I looked around as well (but that's still $900 better than Jerry Clayton quoted me to install one...). I managed to pick one up off Trademe for $350 (no electronics). It takes about 2 hours to do if you are handy with the tools (just have to remove the rear bumper). Scariest part is cutting the bumper cover...

That'll be a price including electrics.

Remove the electrics and you pay around $400

I had a towbar (rated at 2 tonnes!) fitted to my E39 from Best Bars and it cost around $400

I bought the original BMW electrics kit on TradeMe for $60 and fitted it myself :-)

If you don't want the original BMW electric kit, then you can fit automotive relays and wire it up yourself for around $50 to $75 in parts, plus a few hours of your time.

Difference between BMW kit and relays:

BMW kit tells you if light bulbs have failed on the trailer. Kit is easy to install with pre-wired looms.

Relays: very simple, but you add it in yourself. You'll need minimum 4 relays (2 x blinkers, brake, taillights). More if you want the trailer to have reverse lights and fog lights (BMW kit offers all of this)