Sign in to follow this  
Danny_E30

E30 318i Suspension.

Hey guys and girls.

I have just recently noticed the the back left side of my car is higher than the right side... Do any of you know what might be causing this?

All replies are valued!

Thanks, Danny.

Guest FrantiC

Subframe mounts are shot. Or if you are really unlucky, bent trail arm.

Edited by FrantiC

Subframe mounts are shot. Or if you are really unlucky, bent trail arm.

Ah k... i think that shock is leaking oil, would that be something different? I was told if it is leaking, i will need to replace the shock absorber. Is that correct?

Ah k... i think that shock is leaking oil, would that be something different? I was told if it is leaking, i will need to replace the shock absorber. Is that correct?

Factory Rubber sub frame mounts which are 20 years old will be pretty shot, when i got my 320i they were nearly torn all the way around, and it was a lady driven auto.

Its also good to replace shock absorbers in pairs, Its not recommended to replace just one.

Guest FrantiC

Yep leaky shock should be replaced - And as said do both not just one.

Thing is, Shocks do not control height at all. Replace all your rear bushes like Subframe mounts, Trail arm bushes, diff mount. That will probably fix the issue.

(FWIW, Diff mount doesn't relate to the problem, it's just another "while your there" kinda thing..)

Edited by FrantiC

Yep leaky shock should be replaced - And as said do both not just one.

Thing is, Shocks do not control height at all. Replace all your rear bushes like Subframe mounts, Trail arm bushes, diff mount. That will probably fix the issue.

(FWIW, Diff mount doesn't relate to the problem, it's just another "while your there" kinda thing..)

Ok cheers for the help all. Will get it sorted as soon as possible!