Sign in to follow this  
M325is

Watch out for this fraud

I just had a call from a guy promoting a business named "Prestige Automotive and Tyre Services" he was giving away WOF and oil service with 70% discount, making it only $40!! Supposively he was calling from their Great South Road Manukau store and had 18 stores around Auckland.

He asks if you are going to be home all day so he can deliver your voucher. I say yes (I didn't want him thinking the place will be empty).

I ask if I can pick up the voucher, he says no he can only deliver them bla bla bla. He then asks if I will have $40 on me, if not credit card.

I finally click. This is the same deal as those flowers and alcohol scam going around. I told him I don't have the money nor do I have a credit card and hung up.

I looked up the company and sure enough it doesn't exist. Rang the cops so they are aware of it, they can't do anything about it. Somebody is going to have a bad christmas because of this guy so watch out.

Just had an email back from somebody in the automotive industry giving me the website for that company. There is a store in manukau, I called him, he knew of the voucher but says the guy that rang me was a bad egg in the marketing company he hired to sell the vouchers. There is not 18 stores and you do not get a service and WOF for $40. You buy the voucher for $40 and the voucher gives you discounts on certain items/services in store, definately not a WOF or service for free though!

I asked him if it was necessary for the guy to deliver it, he said he didn't know.

So if you get the call don't be tempted.

Edited by M325is

Thanks for the heads up.

Doesn't sound that much cheaper then normal though.

Ah they do this every year Shelly. Guys go from shop to shop in Botany selling them. My mte purchased one off the guy for $10 two years back. Was the last one he had and he just wanted to go. Never used any of the discounts.

Lol I got suckered in and bought the voucher without looking at it first. At first glimpse the voucher seemed like a good deal. But after I looked at it afterwards the rewards were ghey. Eg. Free battery test, free coolant level check etc. haha pwned

I came across the exact same thing, $200 worth of value. I asked what his managers name was, he said he was just hte advertising guy, so I said well whats the branch managers name for Papakura, he gave me it, I rang, confirmed, even dropped in there, confirmed. cost me $25, wasn't to badder deal. Seemed dodgy as f**k but I managed to use it.