Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Rack end joint being a b**ch

Replacing the rack ends in my e30, got one side off easy as with a monkey wrench, the other side (drivers side) wont budge at all. Its soaking in penetrating fluid right now, anyone got any tips as to getting these off?

Any help is appreciated

Cheers, Nathan

The ball joint? You can be responsible and get a ball joint fork, and it works well, Orrrrrrr..

Get your hammer and wack that bolt sideways a few times to loosen it up first and then pound it out. Protect the threads with whatever you have laying around ha. Replacing the whole control arm is the usual thing to do, much less hassel and then you've done the ball joints on the chassis as well :thumbsup:

The ball joint? You can be responsible and get a ball joint fork, and it works well, Orrrrrrr..

Get your hammer and wack that bolt sideways a few times to loosen it up first and then pound it out. Protect the threads with whatever you have laying around ha. Replacing the whole control arm is the usual thing to do, much less hassel and then you've done the ball joints on the chassis as well :thumbsup:

Not the ball joint, the threaded piece after the balljoint that joins to the center steering rack piece.

Can provide pics if everyone is lost

If you use the same hammer, and wack the strut where the ball joint passes through, you won't damage anything except your hearing.

(edit) For the other problem, bigger monkey wrench.

Edited by CamB

may have to take photos for this one, havnt explained very well lol

I know what you are talking about. Its the rack end joint or inner tie rod. We have a special tool to do them, its a special tube crowsfoot... we could do it for you :D

I know what you are talking about. Its the rack end joint or inner tie rod. We have a special tool to do them, its a special tube crowsfoot... we could do it for you :D

hahaha you sure could glenn, maybe i shud just jump in my teleporter up to auckland :P

may just have to perservere with the monkey wrench, how hard can it be :P its only a 18 y/o e30

hahaha you sure could glenn, maybe i shud just jump in my teleporter up to auckland :P

may just have to perservere with the monkey wrench, how hard can it be :P its only a 18 y/o e30

Duno how much space u got down but you could use a cheater bar (slip a bar over the wrench handle and apply force futher up the bar), thus creating more torque and less pain in your arm. Other than that you can try heating it up with a blowtorch (responsibly :D)

haha i tried all options, in the end my mate borrowed a rack end remover tool that goes on the end of a socket wrench, worked like a charm, thanks tho man

haha i tried all options, in the end my mate borrowed a rack end remover tool that goes on the end of a socket wrench, worked like a charm, thanks tho man

Thats good you got it off. I spent the best part of 6 hours removing all the bolts/nuts holding my previous diff in and iv still got the scars to show lol.

Good luck with ur project