Sign in to follow this  
Fen

Certification help

Hi folks. I'm looking for some advice re: certification of a car with engine mods a little over 20% increased from stock.

The car has some other mods as well which were carefully chosen to keep within the guidelines of what is allowed without a cert, and to be honest a mechanically identical version of the same car was available from the factory with 90% of the power mine has, but technically I guess as my specific car wasn't one of them it really should be certed for the power increase, and i want to sell it so it would be good to have that box ticked.

Does anyone have any good recommends on where/who to use for the cert? Wairarapa or Wellington or Hutt Valley would be the preference in decending order.

Will an inspector second-guess the other mods even though VTNZ registered it quite happily at import time with them as not being certifiable or will they just concentrate on the engine changes when that is all they are asked to look at? I'm not really worried it won't meet standards but I'd rather not have any extra hassle I don't need because the 103mm ground clearance has settled to 99mm or something (not that I'm thinking it has, but you never know).

Cheers in advance,

Fen

Hi Fen,

I do some work in this as a part time thing with a car club.

Ken Mc Adam in lower hutt, based in rutherford st as a seat belt comlpiancing agent also does most LLVTA certs.

Hope this helps

Ian

Thanks Ian, that's a good start. I'll ring and have a chat with him.

Edited by Fen

If you have other mods which do not require certs by themselves, once you require a cert for something else, everything becomes subject to the certification process.

What sort of mods are we talking for the 20% increase?

I spoke to Ken and he confirmed that.

It's lowered on stock spring perches, the springs stay seated under full droop and everything apart from the exhaust and bumpers has over 100mm clearance so that should be OK.

It has standard size but grooverd disks and kevlar pads in standard calipers, so that should be OK

It has a smaller supercharger pulley, bigger intercooler, cold air intake and one of the silencers bypassed, plus some reliability mods but (surprisingly to my mind) the ECU has not been touched.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-191796076.htm if anyone still hasn't sent their Christmas list to Santa :D

Edited by Fen

Sick!

Only mini on TM with satnav???

Edited by bravo

Possibly, I don't recall seeing any others when I checked the competition or was trying to gauge a price.

It was the equivalent of a $4,000 option in the UK. I believe the car cost the original owner the far side of $68k at current exchange rates :o

I wonder if the tick next to the speed limiter (140KPH) is to say it's on or to say that yes you've tested it and it works? :P