Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

converting 1.1 - 1.3

hey, has any one converted 1.1 mototronic to 1.3

im having to do a few repairs on the engine, including replacing the loom,

and want to know if converting 1.1 to 1.3 is a easy swap, engine loom wise,

i realise that im going to have to replace ecu, front pulley and install sensor,

but any other alterations ? e.g. afm, vaccum sensors etc

since the engines going to be out for a bit, is it worth while making the conversion ?

thanks

hey, has any one converted 1.1 mototronic to 1.3

im having to do a few repairs on the engine, including replacing the loom,

and want to know if converting 1.1 to 1.3 is a easy swap, engine loom wise,

i realise that im going to have to replace ecu, front pulley and install sensor,

but any other alterations ? e.g. afm, vaccum sensors etc

since the engines going to be out for a bit, is it worth while making the conversion ?

thanks

It is certainly possible to do, and the best way is to get hold of a dead 1.3 325 or 320 engine as you need to swap just about everything that the loom attaches to - all the connections are different. So even things like water header tank level switch, oil level sensor, etc etc...

as in im just going to have to replace the old loom, with the new loom, install front crank angle sensor, and the only other difference would be the ecu plug ? from 2 rows of pins, to 3 ?

can some one else confirm this ?

so i dont get half way through the conversion and then get left with my car off the road for a extended period of time ?

also, will i expect a more efficient car with a newer ecu design? or is there little noticable difference between 1.1 and 1.3

thanks heaps for the info

It is certainly possible to do, and the best way is to get hold of a dead 1.3 325 or 320 engine as you need to swap just about everything that the loom attaches to - all the connections are different. So even things like water header tank level switch, oil level sensor, etc etc...

No the plugs are all the same (except for oil level sensor), and the water level tank switch isnt part of the engine loom.

as in im just going to have to replace the old loom, with the new loom, install front crank angle sensor, and the only other difference would be the ecu plug ? from 2 rows of pins, to 3 ?

can some one else confirm this ?

so i dont get half way through the conversion and then get left with my car off the road for a extended period of time ?

also, will i expect a more efficient car with a newer ecu design? or is there little noticable difference between 1.1 and 1.3

thanks heaps for the info

Yep, replace the old engine loom with the new one, install a new front crank wheel (one with teeth on it), crank angle sensor, the fuel injector harness part is a bit different and dosent quite fit because they have different fuel rails, but you can just cut a bit of the plastic out on the fuel injector harness thing. With the new loom, the bigger ECU plug wont fit through the firewall, you can pull the plastic off the plug, and then fit it thru and put the plastic back on.

The oil level sensor has a different plug, you can cut the plug off the old loom and wire it on to the new one, or just change the oil level sensor to the newer one.

You wont notice any difference between the two ECU's apart from idling will be alot better, and so will cold starting. Also there are alot more chips around for the 1.3 ECU's.

Also im guessing you have 1.0 and not 1.1, 1.1 and 1.3 both have a crank angle sensor and 3 row ECU plugs, to convert from 1.1 to 1.3, all you need to do is swap the ECU's over. - If your ECU plug is only 2 row, it should be 1.0.