Sign in to follow this  
curryinahurry

Intermittant belt squeak

Hi guys I m trying to determine which belt is making the sound.

Basically its there when I start the car and the car is idling.

Sometimes it goes away after idling for a short while and sometimes it will come back when I rev the car or when I put it into gear.

Its sort of like a high pitch "chirrrrr chirrrrrr........... chirrrrrrrrr..." sound, I am pretty sure its a belt, but not sure which one!

Does anyone have ideas? Perhaps tightening the tensioner would fix it? What do you guys think?

cheers!

Hi guys I m trying to determine which belt is making the sound.

Basically its there when I start the car and the car is idling.

Sometimes it goes away after idling for a short while and sometimes it will come back when I rev the car or when I put it into gear.

Its sort of like a high pitch "chirrrrr chirrrrrr........... chirrrrrrrrr..." sound, I am pretty sure its a belt, but not sure which one!

Does anyone have ideas? Perhaps tightening the tensioner would fix it? What do you guys think?

cheers!

Happens to me to in the morning when its colder too..could it be something to do with air con? ..i would like to sort this out as well didnt no how to describe the sound :)

There is an old trick of rubbing a candle on the belts to quieten them. You could try a belt at a time.

Might be a bit dangerous with the motor running and no room though.

um....just check for the loose one and tension it?

If its your E36 it will be an idler or tensioner bearing making the noise...... and they do fall off

And you cant tighten the tensioner...its self loading, unless you have the wrong size belt on

Edited by *Glenn*

If its your E36 it will be an idler or tensioner bearing making the noise...... and they do fall off

And you cant tighten the tensioner...its self loading, unless you have the wrong size belt on

I see, yeah it is my E36. Can you give me an idea of how much it will cost to fix?

thanks heaps!

I see, yeah it is my E36. Can you give me an idea of how much it will cost to fix?

thanks heaps!

I'd need to check whats wrong first

I'd need to check whats wrong first

Yeah I ve tried a couple of times as well. Both times it stopped squeaking when I got to your place, might just give it another go this Saturday.

Whats your Xmas hours like?

Yeah I ve tried a couple of times as well. Both times it stopped squeaking when I got to your place, might just give it another go this Saturday.

Whats your Xmas hours like?

My christmass hours are from Tuesday the 23rd-5th Jan

AND I WONT BE HERE OR HAVE MY PHONE ON

BTW: Sorry we dont work saturdays