Sign in to follow this  
Wom

Give Way Rules

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to who gives way in the following situation:

Car A is on a main road, they stop in the middle of the road, indicating to turn right into a side street.

Car B is stopped at the end of the side street, indicating to turn right onto the main road.

Now, according to the road rules, Car B would have right of way as Car A is on the left of Car B.

Car A would give way as Car B is on it's right.

But in reality, it's always Car B coming from the side street that gives way to Car A coming in from the main road (well that's how everyone in NZ seems to treat it).

So which one is correct?

Well are either car on give way lines cause if they are they should give way

Most people seem to get confused in these situations because the majority of sideraods have giveway or stop signs. So car A assumes that Car B has to give way even if there is no give way sign. The problem is pure and simple, ignorance and arrogance.

This rule not only applies to side street, it also applies on driveway, car park entrances, etc... situations where path of 2 vehicle are crossed and without Stop or Giveway signs. The vehicle on the right always have the right of way.

The question came up because I was on a side street turning onto the main road.

No give way or stop signs, and no-one coming from my right, so I went and this guy comes through off the main road and nearly rammed me, he gives me a long blast of his horn and the finger and drives off.

I figured that because I wasn't on a stop sign or give way sign, then normal give way rules apply, but the other guy didn't seem to think so.

I guess it is because quite a lot of side roads do have stop signs, so people just presume that the side road gives way all the time.

The other gripe I have is people who force their way into non-existent spaces on the motorway, just so they can be in the fast lane, which more often than not is going slower than the slow lane.

It's because no one in NZ seems to have very little idea how to drive

in a safe and orderly manner. I asked a cop when I got here to explain the road rules to me

and his reply....."no one knows".

Seriously I would love to see half this countries "drivers" try and last 1 day in any major city in OZ.

No offence guys but a majority of kiwi's are the most rude and arrogent pricks in the world when they get

behind the wheel of ....... well anything with wheels.

Edited by JOHNS740I

It's because no one in NZ seems to have very little idea how to drive

in a safe and orderly manner. I asked a cop when I got here to explain the road rules to me

and his reply....."no one knows".

Seriously I would love to see half this countries "drivers" try and last 1 day in any major city in OZ.

No offence guys but a majority of kiwi's are the most rude and arrogent pricks in the world when they get

behind the wheel of ....... well anything with wheels.

lol as a kiwi i will amen to that, but i find its the minority in the majority that ruin it for every one

only problem is, our minority has now become the majority, and its a battle for survival on the roads

when it comes to giving way, and i have always been aware of the road rules, but have had enough run ins and encounters to have adopted a new tactic (well 2),

- the main one being, dont be arrogant of arrogance, and murphies law rules NZ roads, and assume every one on the roads cant see you and are dimwhitted pricks.

because the moment i havent assumed this, ive found my self in close calls. TAKE nothing for granted

assume everyone found their lisenses in a wheetbox packet

OR

- if you cant beat em, join em tactic, which i will admit, seems tempting, but for the sole sake of not becoming just another a**hole, i try and stick to the 1st tactic, just crank the stereo up and chill, waiting for people to get their road rage outa the way and continue on with the drive

either way, its every man for them selfs

contemplating bullbars on ma e30 :D

The question came up because I was on a side street turning onto the main road.

No give way or stop signs, and no-one coming from my right, so I went and this guy comes through off the main road and nearly rammed me, he gives me a long blast of his horn and the finger and drives off.

I figured that because I wasn't on a stop sign or give way sign, then normal give way rules apply, but the other guy didn't seem to think so.

I guess it is because quite a lot of side roads do have stop signs, so people just presume that the side road gives way all the time.

The other gripe I have is people who force their way into non-existent spaces on the motorway, just so they can be in the fast lane, which more often than not is going slower than the slow lane.

Yeah the side road has right of way. There is an intersection like that just down the road and even though they technically have the right of way, they usually still give way to you or at least stop and wait while your waiting for them to move.

Just yesterday on the way to a family lunch that happened on the motor way. The fast lane was going slower then the other lane and some person pulled infront of me into a space that was barely big enough to fit there car in. There are some people that really just shouldn't have their license.