Sign in to follow this  
Five Star

It's a long shot but..

I'm replacing my sump gasket on my e21 320/6 (m20b20) and I'm having a few problems with a few bolts that I can't get tools to because of the steering rack and bell housing.

I've got 22 bolts out, and I can only see one more but I'm told there's 24.

Anyone had experience with this before?

Dont use a gasket...they only supply cork now & they split between the bolt holes. Clean thoroughly with white spirits and use Eurothane sealant.. Not silicon..you get it from Panel Beating supplies. Use the grey for a cleaner look. I've explained all this in a previous thread, someone might be able to dig it out for you.

If you like...give me a call

Guest FrantiC

There are 25 bolts.

And hmmm, I have used the cork gasket in 2 different applications along with an RTV sealant and both have been fine.

There are 25 bolts.

And hmmm, I have used the cork gasket in 2 different applications along with an RTV sealant and both have been fine.

I do this for a living... you dont need to listen...others might. The cork gaskets are hopeless

A big thanks to Glen for sorting me out on the phone. Time to have a go at the sump again.. I can see problems with it still being in the car and the gearbox.

i dont know my e21's, but why didnt you just take bonnet off, loosen engine mounts, bottom bolt and top bolt, jack engine up? or there still not enough room to remove sump ? No engine hoist ? Thats how i saved my frustration

The last two bolts were hidden by a plate which just required two bolts to be removed so it swung out of the way.

Everything put back together OK and minus a small oil leak (oops, missed a bit...) it's all fine. Good enough that I finally got the car started after having it not running for a year :D