Sign in to follow this  
tyrrel

TV conversion from Japan to NZ (PAL system)

Hi, Yep, can help, as stated - nav unit requires replacement, radio can be reprogrammed to NZ.

PM me for options

Cheers

Grant

I just spotted this site while trying to find out whether it is easily possible to convert mys Jag's (touch screen) TV reception from NTSC (Japan) to the NZ (PAL) system. Can get the sound of one or two channels but inadequate picture. Wondered if you knew anything about the Jaguar system, or can help. Also has Nav. system but Jaguar NZ does not have the software available apparently. Cheers.

I just spotted this site while trying to find out whether it is easily possible to convert mys Jag's (touch screen) TV reception from NTSC (Japan) to the NZ (PAL) system. Can get the sound of one or two channels but inadequate picture. Wondered if you knew anything about the Jaguar system, or can help. Also has Nav. system but Jaguar NZ does not have the software available apparently. Cheers.

Our 330i was converted to the NZ system by the local BMW dealer, all works perfect now. Jag dealer should be able to do the same?

Our 330i was converted to the NZ system by the local BMW dealer, all works perfect now. Jag dealer should be able to do the same?

Jag Dealer (Archibald & Shorter) referred me to an outfit that said it would cost approx $1200 to convert. I think that is incorrect. Do you recall the cost to convert your 330i?

Jag Dealer (Archibald & Shorter) referred me to an outfit that said it would cost approx $1200 to convert. I think that is incorrect. Do you recall the cost to convert your 330i?

I think it was around that figure actually. Whether you think it is worth it is up to you.

Just gimicky really.

Hard to compare. On a BMW you "press a button" to change the setting :-)

And the dealer charged him for that...?? Wow!

If the $1200 was for a new Jaguar factory TV system, then it is incredibly cheap.

But stay clear of any botched external video converters - you'll be disappointed.

If you are DIY minded, you can change things yourself - I can help you further using Google, but you need to supply photos of what you have now.

If the $1200 was for a new Jaguar factory TV system, then it is incredibly cheap.

But stay clear of any botched external video converters - you'll be disappointed.

If you are DIY minded, you can change things yourself - I can help you further using Google, but you need to supply photos of what you have now.

Press a button??????? I think it's a little bit more complicated than that!

Thanks Jochen. There is no on-screen menu to change the TV settings. I'm not that technical so would not be confident enough to remove the unit from the dash etc to check any 'rear of unit' switches/buttons.

It is a factory fitted unit as it shows in the individual factory specs for this particular vehicle & must be a European one, as the graphics (for channel setting etc) are in English. There is a User setting, however, to allow changing between English & Japanese.

This is a picture of the touchscreen:

Posted Image

Well after never having seen a Japanese Jag in my life I have had fun researching this today:

The good news is the Radio can be changed from Japanese to Europe settings. Here's an extract from the Owners Manual:

Audio Setup

This function enables the radio to be set to user operating preferences. By selecting SETUP and using the buttons on the touch-screen, the owner or Jaguar Retailer can adjust certain radio functions.

When in SETUP, pressing the relevant button will display the facility selected and its state. The state of that facility can be changed by pressing the button again.

To enter SETUP: Press Eject and AM/FM buttons simultaneously.

The display will show AUDIO SETUP. The preferences shown on the next page can then be selected or changed in any order.

After 15 seconds the display will clear and exit SETUP.

Country During initial factory installation, this is used to set the radio to one of the following regions: Europe, Australia or Japan.

Regional settings determine the correct frequency increments required for seeking stations, automatic tuning etc.

Note: The regions are preset at the factory. Should you require a regional change, consult your Jaguar Retailer.

For Your car in NZ, your should set REGION = EUROPE, and RDS = ON because NZ uses European standards with RDS.

Then, if a band expander was added, REMOVE IT

As for TV, there is a TV settings menu, but because the car is a Japanese car, this menu may be disabled...

Changing the vehicle's region to Europe (or NZ if possible) may correct this.

Edited by jochen

Press a button??????? I think it's a little bit more complicated than that!

No, it's not complicated

On BMW e46, e38, e39, X3, X5, Z4 the TV can be changed from NTSC to PAL by changing the settings in the TV menu.

So literally, really really easy, done by the user, no workhop visit or reprogramming required.

The correct TV setting for New Zealand is PAL BG or PAL EUROPE.

Some later model cars will have New Zealand as available country listed in the menu.

If your 330i is an E46, then there was no need to visit a dealer. You could have changed the setting yourself.

Edited by jochen

No, it's not complicated

On BMW e46, e38, e39, X3, X5, Z4 the TV can be changed from NTSC to PAL by changing the settings in the TV menu.

So literally, really really easy, done by the user, no workhop visit or reprogramming required.

The correct TV setting for New Zealand is PAL BG or PAL EUROPE.

Some later model cars will have New Zealand as available country listed in the menu.

If your 330i is an E46, then there was no need to visit a dealer. You could have changed the setting yourself.

Well all i know is when it was brought into the country it had to go to Jeff Greys to have the TV frigged around with, was there for a few days.

When I had my X5 BMW it was a jappa, the previous owner thought the TV didn't work until I flicked the switch from NTSC to PAL. Too easy.