Sign in to follow this  
keen

m42 or m44 which is it

Can someone help please? I have an engine from a e36ti chassis no au94947 is the engine m42 or m44 and when measuring the con rod for length is the measurement from top to bottom of complete rod or from center to center of the holes?

thanks for that information there are dated decals on the loom that have 1995 on them and as the motor is now stripped right down the rods are m44's if you go by the pictures in the metric mechanic. And the weight is in line with that, as the m42's are heavier and look different. that was the reason for the question. is there any more info on the measurement of the rod length? where is that measurement taken from?

Not worked on any BMW engines but all the other motors I have worked on the rod length is measured from the center of the crank end to the center of the piston pin. Use whatever terminology you want here.

This means measure from the center of the big hole to the center of the little hole lol

Not worked on any BMW engines but all the other motors I have worked on the rod length is measured from the center of the crank end to the center of the piston pin. Use whatever terminology you want here.

This means measure from the center of the big hole to the center of the little hole lol

Hey thank you for that. I understand perfectly where you are coming from I have written details talking of the rod length and they are way smaller than mine. and the last thing I want is to destroke it. But I needed to know where they are coming from so I'm talking the same numbers as them, thanks again.