Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Clear Coat Advice

So I have recently resprayed (with great success) my bootlid with a spray can, just to try save money. I had cut and polished it since painting and the paint (while I obviously knew It would match the same color exactly) has had three coats of clear but still isn't 'glossy' enough. Can and should I take it to a panel beaters to spray so thick coats of clear on it? Or should I just perservere and leave it. Wouldn't want to pay a fortune for it to be done.

Opinions please, can post pics too tmoro morning in the daylight.

What type of "clear" did you use, a clear laquer or a clearcoat, plus did you leave it to air dry or was it baked off?

Also, are you sure that the colour you are trying to match is a basecoat / clearcoat system (this may sound stupid but many colours are still only solid paints)?

Whilst any spray can application will not match the OE paint system, you should be able to get it reasonably close, by which I mean you can look at it from 2 metres away (or six foot in old money) and not see any noticeable difference in daylight.

What type of "clear" did you use, a clear laquer or a clearcoat, plus did you leave it to air dry or was it baked off?

Also, are you sure that the colour you are trying to match is a basecoat / clearcoat system (this may sound stupid but many colours are still only solid paints)?

Whilst any spray can application will not match the OE paint system, you should be able to get it reasonably close, by which I mean you can look at it from 2 metres away (or six foot in old money) and not see any noticeable difference in daylight.

I just used a clearcoat in a spraycan like you get from supercheap..is that the wrong thing? Was air dried for 48 hours before sanding with 2000 grit and cut and polished

Have just cut and polished again, a little harder and it looks a little glossier, myt just take some decent elbow grease

Just to be a dick.

How much would it have cost you in total to spray it with cans... $30 for a can of paint, or maybe 2 as you'd probably want 2 coats maybe? $15 for primer,$15 for crappy clear coat plus all the hardwork in sanding etc.

I went to the local P&P place down the road from my house and they resprayed my E39 bootlid for $139 total. Match was perfect and they did all the prep etc, I just took the bootlid off and took it there which may have saved a little I guess.

I must admit I have used spray cans before and failed and ended taking them to a panel shop. :P

It was about that, to be honest in the daylight Im not that happy with it. Anyone recommend any panel and painters in welly for cheap?

It was about that, to be honest in the daylight Im not that happy with it. Anyone recommend any panel and painters in welly for cheap?

Ya pay peanuts, ya get monkeys.

I dare say that Wellington is just like Auckland and you will find plenty of Indian panel beaters if you want cheap. But for christ sake it's a Beemer you're talking about not some sh*t box jappa. Have a bit of consideration and get a professional to do the job.

Sorry we are all not earning 000's of $ a year

As mentioned above, $139 is pretty bloody cheap for a bootlid repaint. If you're not happy with your job get it done professionally.