Sign in to follow this  
simke

My 3000 km road trip :)

First of all happy new year everyone, hope you had a good time :)

I had decided to something different for this new year, and came up with an idea to drive from Auckland all the way down to Queenstown - and back. Around 1500 km each way :) And what can I say, it has been an amazing road trip, in fact I'd say this was one of the best holidays I had so far. Shame I couldn't stay longer - was supposed to be on holiday till 12th, but something came up so got to be back to work on monday :(

Left last saturday, drove down to Wellington, spent a day there and then got on a ferry to Picton. Left Queenstown 10am yesterday, and got home 8am this morning - 10 hour drive to Picton then 3 hours rest on the ferry, and another 7 hours drive to Auckland.

I've enjoyed every kilometer of the trip. Beautiful scenery, weather wasn't too bad, and not too much slow traffic on the way - and where there was I enjoyed overtaking every single one of them :) Had a black 645Ci on my tail all the way from Picton to Christchurch, we didn't drive too fast or irresponsibly, just a bit of fun :)

All in all an unforgettable experience, and I'm thinking of doing it again for next new year. We could make it a Bimmersport cruise :)

Here are some photos of the scenery that I've been driving through. Picture in the dark was taken in National Park around 4:30am this morning - driving through there at night is an experience in itself.

post-2949-1230959106_thumb.jpg

post-2949-1230959179_thumb.jpg

post-2949-1230959309_thumb.jpg

post-2949-1230959401_thumb.jpg

post-2949-1230959527_thumb.jpg

post-2949-1230959615_thumb.jpg

post-2949-1230959733_thumb.jpg

post-2949-1230959831_thumb.jpg

post-2949-1230959931_thumb.jpg

post-2949-1230960041_thumb.jpg

post-2949-1230960161_thumb.jpg

post-2949-1230960254_thumb.jpg

post-2949-1230960379_thumb.jpg

post-2949-1230960463_thumb.jpg

Sounds like fun. I am actually doing this trip with the Nissan Silvia Club this year for our anual Mega Meet.

How many stone chips did the front of your car collect? My 180 was a disaster from my last trip to Wellington.

I've done this trip a couple of years ago in a 540 and its absolutely magnificent.

Sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed it!

Nice one mate, I just back from queenstown/wanaka was a shame about the weather but still had a great time. I took my subaru it was still fun but i did miss the bmw allot, found the best deserted back roads all the way to chch

Some of that scenery is fantastic!

Did Timaru to Otematata for New Year then through the Mackenzie back home to Timaru

Great roads and a nice "round the block" trip round the lakes. To many bloody tourists in their campers though. Dont mind the tourists really just dont like the speed they go but who could blame them with the scenery through there.

Sounds like fun. I am actually doing this trip with the Nissan Silvia Club this year for our anual Mega Meet.

How many stone chips did the front of your car collect? My 180 was a disaster from my last trip to Wellington.

Washed the car today, and yeah looks like it was blasted by mini shotgun - especially noticeable coz the car is black. Oh well :)

Done that trip twice now in my car, such a nice drive!! give me south island open road any day.

Oh and drift, i had hundreds of chips on my bonnet after my last trip :(

nothing to compare those SI roads/scenery...the tourists are a pain but some of the actual touristy things are worth it..ie milford sound,but do the bus thing from q town,shotover jet is a blast....