Sign in to follow this  
535er

Dash Problems (E34)

Having major dash issues.

Can be driving along and speedo, rev, fuel and temp gauges tend to fluctuate aggressively, also the handbrake light tends to flash but with no dinging! One min it can be good the next it's not.

Secondly ive got no LCD what so ever, no odometer no nothing.

Does the dash run through a computer or is this a dash issue. Was told not so long ago that the LCD crapping out is a common fault on these.

Would be good to shed some light on this topic

cheers!!

Id say it was the capacitor\capacitor solder joints in the cluster causing the erratic gauges. You can try resolder the joints or put new ones in.

I had the same problems in a donor E34 i brought and ended up swapping the cluster out. Sound like better off doing that.

Your odometer will read what the replacement cluster has done.

what year is your car and whats the millage , might have the correct one for you .

what year is your car and whats the millage , might have the correct one for you .

Hey again brent

It's an 89 E34 535. Was around the 356 mark

I did try the cluster I have out of the E34 i'm wrecking but that didnt seem to go too good either. Has no fuel or temp and still no LCD. Unless I have to go for one with the same numbers as mine

I did try the cluster I have out of the E34 i'm wrecking but that didnt seem to go too good either. Has no fuel or temp and still no LCD. Unless I have to go for one with the same numbers as mine

does your one have the millage chip built into the back of one of the plugs that plug in ??

if it does it the earlier type and you can only replace with the same early type but at least it will keep the millage .

take a pic of the back of it and the plugs that go into it .