Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

e30 race car

Link

its a weird car, im pretty sure the cage does not meet standards and the seatbelts only bolt just under the parcel parcel shelf, cage dosent pick up on any suspension mounts and is as basic as it comes

comes with hubbies

only good thing about it is the mtech1 kit

for only $3500,i dunno i would want it for free

The cage is approved, and it has raced at an event so it must have been scrutineered. There is no requirement for a cage to pick up on suspension points (I wish mine did). I personally don't like the way it goes behind the dash...

And I agree that the seatbelt mounts look dodge.

what i ment by it not picking up on suspension mounts is that it must be the cheapest cage i've ever seen

Edited by Jamez

And I agree that the seatbelt mounts look dodge.

They do indeed!!

But the book say 60x60mm plate on the backside for sheet metal mounts doesn't it??

Can just imagine how far those long belts + the sheet metal will stretch in a decent impact.....

what i ment by it not picking up on suspension mounts is that it must be the cheapest cage i've ever seen

I wouldn't say that.

On an E30, just about any "standard" 6 point cage won't pick up the suspension load points/paths.

Front & rear sub-frame mounts, front towers & above the rear springs (or tower if you have coilovers).

Out of those, most will only go to the strut towers, and then only provide frontal impact strength and not the vertical load from the suspension.

Is it a budget install that meets the minimum requirement, for sure.

They do indeed!!

But the book say 60x60mm plate on the backside for sheet metal mounts doesn't it??

Yep - there is a minimum requirement for belt mounting points which I am sure it meets. I just don't like the look of it - that doesn't mean it isn't safe.

They do indeed!!

Can just imagine how far those long belts + the sheet metal will stretch in a decent impact.....

I run long belts, my harness bar is located just fore of that sheet metal in my cage.

Some stretch is wanted otherwise you'd just be mushed in a 50g+ crash. But obviously you don't want the mounts/sheet metal to deform on top of the belts. Which is why it's also a good idea to have reinforced harness bar.

Either way, I wouldn't drive that car fast, I sure wouldn't be brave enough.

Yep - there is a minimum requirement for belt mounting points which I am sure it meets. I just don't like the look of it - that doesn't mean it isn't safe.

Take it from a Seat/Seatbelt salesman, you dont want any stretch, stock cars WRC cars and V8 Supercars have the belts mounted just behind the seats and all of those classes from this year will require back mounting or the seats, the long belt is just acceptable but the mounting is dodge, legal or not.

That set up is identical to the one that took Rodger Freeth.

Free advice: mount your seat well (no runners) and your belts to your cage and do your belts up TIGHT.