Sign in to follow this  
nastnas

vanos repair

no 9 is the filter for the vanos, vanos does run on engine oil but off the vanos oil pump is in the vanos which pumps the pressure up to 100 bar if i recall,there is also an accumulator connected to the unit for backup round the side of the motor(the size and shape of a v-can),

just a bit of useless information-there is a beautiful rolls royce badge on the front of the vanos unit

this is my understanding of the problem...

when its cold the oil is thick. idle is fine. when the engines hot, the oil is thin.

so its either the o rings are not sealing properly in the vanos unit.

or when it gets hot and everything expands,there is a vacuum leak from somewhere.

i also found a 7mm socket lying on the lhs engine mount, and a m8 bolt missing on the under side of the intake plenum. as there are 2 which hold the intake plenum in place.

also the throttle cable was not fastened in place. so i think i am not the only backyard mechanic who has been fiddling with this car.

this is my understanding of the problem...

when its cold the oil is thick. idle is fine. when the engines hot, the oil is thin.

so its either the o rings are not sealing properly in the vanos unit.

or when it gets hot and everything expands,there is a vacuum leak from somewhere.

i also found a 7mm socket lying on the lhs engine mount, and a m8 bolt missing on the under side of the intake plenum. as there are 2 which hold the intake plenum in place.

also the throttle cable was not fastened in place. so i think i am not the only backyard mechanic who has been fiddling with this car.

In that case you might want to take it to Glenn as soon as, god knows whats been frigged around with on it.

vanos is just a cam-timing adjustment, did u run the car without the intake air box?if you did you could have cleaned the idle valve, the ideal would be to get a co machine onto the motor- as each throttle can be adjusted individually for co's , if you look on the exhaust manifold you will see blanking off bolts,where hollow rods are screwed into,the co's of each cylinder is checked and adjusted as close to the leanest one,

vanos is just a cam-timing adjustment, did u run the car without the intake air box?if you did you could have cleaned the idle valve, the ideal would be to get a co machine onto the motor- as each throttle can be adjusted individually for co's , if you look on the exhaust manifold you will see blanking off bolts,where hollow rods are screwed into,the co's of each cylinder is checked and adjusted as close to the leanest one,

As i stated in a previous post my cars running a bit rich, took it in to Jeff Greys and was quoted $800 to balance all 6 cylinders, approx 8 hours to do so.

i have not checked the COs nor did i run the car without the air box.

hopefully the bmw guys can point me in the right direction, worst case scenario is me doing the vanos....