Sign in to follow this  
nastnas

vanos repair

hi guys...

just wondering if anyone has the tools to do the vanos repair that i could borrow?

just dont want to buy them, as the US $$ vs kiwi $$ ain't too good at the moment.

i've got all the required O rings, as shown here Posted Image

i just need the hexagon spanner to hold the shaft so i can undo the collar nut, as mine is a standard spanner set.

does the vanos repair make a huge improvement? just wondering how much faster the m3 can get? ^_^

do a search man, there was a guy on here only a few months ago who did the repair himself- good luck!

started on it yesterday after work.... then realised i need a 32mm spanner for the fan... :D

May I ask why you are doing this ?? You havent said what the problem is or who diagnosed you have a problem. Or are you doing it because others have had problems ? Without the right tools & knowledge you could destroy the engine...are you aware of that ?? If you have started on this and you werent knowing about the 32mm viscous coupling nut & you dont have that specific tool.. I would likely say YOU HAVE A DISSASTER COMING UP SHORTLY

It might be prudent to give me a call

Cheers

Glenn

May I ask why you are doing this ?? You havent said what the problem is or who diagnosed you have a problem. Or are you doing it because others have had problems ? Without the right tools & knowledge you could destroy the engine...are you aware of that ?? If you have started on this and you werent knowing about the 32mm viscous coupling nut & you dont have that specific tool.. I would likely say YOU HAVE A DISSASTER COMING UP SHORTLY

It might be prudent to give me a call

Cheers

Glenn

the problem is a surging idle when warm.

so i've scanned the car, and there are no fault codes, so i started checking the mechanical faults, as the scanner reads electrical sensors. i've cleaned the idle control valve, and that has not cured the problem, which i did for peace of mind really...

from what i've read, and hearing, (marbles in can sound) everything points to the VANOS.

so am i wrong? i'm not a BMW technician, but for not having 32mm spanner, how does that lead to disaster ahead?

cheers

I was being critical & trying to be helpful at the same time. If you havent got good mechanical skills and the right gear you could be heading for a disaster. If you didnt know you need a 32mm spanner for the viscous coupling, I would have to assume (bad word) that you are not technically able to do this. The other point I was trying to make is... are you sure it is the Vanos unit ?? Who, with more experience and the right gear has diagnosed this for you ??

The other point is...what scanner did you use ??. The Vanos unit will not normally cause a surge at idle. If it is mechanically jammed it will come up as a fault code. With alluminium motors, quite often noises will resonate and the noise needs to be investigated more thoroughly. It may be a belt idler, tensioner or water pump bearing that is making the noise.

I'm just trying to be helpful and would not like to see you get into deep sh*t with this. I would suggest you get this looked at by a professional and hold fire with any dismantling.

m3 vanos is very sensitive to being assembled correctly,the timing of vanos and cams are even more sensitive,one tooth out(camshaft) and u will never get the best performance out of the motor,these motors are even more sensitive than a woman about their weight!!

well, i dont how much technical skill i require to do this, but i have had a mk2 vw, which i converted to 16V then installed ITBS of a GSX-R 750 onto the engine, and had it running on Megasquirt. all of which was done by myself.

i am a mechanical engineer, so i dont think im stupid, but you seem to question my technical abilities, of not having a 32mm spanner in my tool box.. my spanners go from 8-24, and sockets from 6-32. which was fine for the VW.

but hey, you are definitely more knowledgeable than i am, when i to comes to BMWs. so i will get it looked at by a pro.

i have a carsoft scanner of ebay. which scans,resets and reads... and shows the faults in english... :rolleyes:

i've come to the conclusion of the vanos from these threads:

http://www.drvanos.com/

also quite a few threads on various forums regarding vanos failure.

a 32mm spanner won't fit in there as its too wide, so i got get 1 laser cut in a smaller thickness.... sheeeet!

and 2 slow

thanks for the heads up on the sensitivity. i will be locking the cams into place and holding the engine at TDC.

and 2 slow

thanks for the heads up on the sensitivity. i will be locking the cams into place and holding the engine at TDC.

There is a hell of lot more to it than than that

I'm not trying to be negative or disrespective to you regarding your skills. I just wouldn't like you to attempt to do something which could destroy your engine. Pre warned and realising what your up against, might sway you to get professional advice and in the long term save you a sh*t load of cash & heartache

As I said before....feel free to give me a call

just 1 more thing...

when i look at a topic, i can see the first post, and the rest comes is listed by the first line of each post...

how do i edit that?

just 1 more thing...

when i look at a topic, i can see the first post, and the rest comes is listed by the first line of each post...

how do i edit that?

ffs, seriously someone sticky the fix. clear cookies. Edited by Nick021

There is a hell of lot more to it than than that

I'm not trying to be negative or disrespective to you regarding your skills. I just wouldn't like you to attempt to do something which could destroy your engine. Pre warned and realising what your up against, might sway you to get professional advice and in the long term save you a sh*t load of cash & heartache

As I said before....feel free to give me a call

i did call you when i first had bought the car, and you said that you would not attempt a vanos job, you would send it away to the BMW guys...

Going into a Vanos repair could and would be costly, touch wood mine doesn't f**k out. So i've heard the units usaully start rattling quite loud when they start giving up the ghost?

i did call you when i first had bought the car, and you said that you would not attempt a vanos job, you would send it away to the BMW guys...

Which proves that its not an easy thing to undertake.. Go figure

The word easy wouldn't come anywhere near this job, the front of the engine needs to removed just to get access to the chain. Would be an interesting job to do to gain a bit of knowledge on the topic.

Thats correct. If it was mine, I would do it because I have access to borrow the tools. I have never done one, so if a customer was needing that repair done, I would sub it to either Guido or Ross at the BM Workshop. If your vanos unit is faulty, fitting seals may not fix it anyway. You may need a new unit. Thats why I'm asking, are you sure you have a Vanos fault and who diagnosed the noise as being the vanos unit ??

If you are absolutely sure it is the Vanos unit and you feel confident in doing it.....carry on. However I dont think you will be able to borrow tools to do it.

BTW: The diagram you have in the opening thread shows the "O" rings necessary to install a new Vanos unit. They have nothing to do with repairing a Vanos unit. BMW do not supply a repair kit or parts to repair a vanos unit. New only. The part number for E36 M3 3 litre is 11 31 1 402 428. Price it

Edited by *Glenn*

Bugger...looks like I killed this thread :( ... it was getting so interesting as well

I'm still your friend :D

Friends are what life is all about..thanks

haha, no you have not.... :D i want to bring my car in to your workshop sometime, before the drive. so hopefully i can get half a day on friday off...

you can't get rid of me that easily mate.... :P

vanos unit is basically the same as m50 in working,thatis the way it is fitted,the other BIG money is the vanos valves -the wires are very small and hard by now, have you replaced the small vanos filter in the housing??(5 allen key)

nope, have put most of the bits back, will attack it after the pros say its nothing else.

vanos unit is basically the same as m50 in working,thatis the way it is fitted,the other BIG money is the vanos valves -the wires are very small and hard by now, have you replaced the small vanos filter in the housing??(5 allen key)

The Vanos unit works off engine oil pressure and is activated by solenoids. The diagram in the opening thread shows the unit concerned. Where are these wires and valves you are talking about ?? And could you also explain where this filter is ??

There are no OEM replacement internal parts for any of the BMW Vanos units

nope, have put most of the bits back, will attack it after the pros say its nothing else.

Is the noise still there if you run the engine with the drive belts off ???

Have you used a stethescope on it to isolate where the noise is coming from ??