Sign in to follow this  
bmuu

e36 m3

hi all

i am considering upgrading my e30 325i once i have accomplished the goals i have set for her.

i want to stay with the 3 series platform as 5 and 7 series are to big for my liking so an e36 is a smart choice. however they just seem a bit boring to me. except for the m3. ive done some research and it seems the e36 m3 is a supercar (or close to it). the cheapest one i can find is $15,000 which i think is great value for money.

i want to know if the e36 m3s will drop in price over the next year or two or will they hold their value or even start to increase their value due to becoming rarer over time? the e30 m3 is about twice as much as the e36 but im guessing thats because its a classic? does this mean that in 10 years time the e36 m3s price is going to double? or did the e30s value never drop that low in the first place?

the reason i ask is because if i do buy an e36 m3 i want to know if the resale value in 5 years time is going to be 75% less like it will be with commonwhores and falcodores

thanks

matt

The e36 M3 will never have the same status as the e30 M3- too many made and has a strong racing pedigree.

I'd say prices will have to drop (significantly in the next couple years), but I would be suprised if in ten years the price had increased.

You're right though, they are pretty much a supercar for non-supercar prices.

They are a fantastic vehicle, i've had no complaints so far. Don't know if i would go as far as saying it were a super car (maybe back in the day when they were first released). None the less they seem to be reliable etc. The E30 is a classic being the first M3 and will continue that way, the E36 not so much but still a great car for the price!

I won't go into your main question as I pretty much answered it in the other thread linked. In short, E36 will never reach E30 status however a good example M3 will hold it's value for a long time (my view anyhow).

Now with regards to the E36 M3 in general, I honestly would not trade it for anything else in it's price range. Nearly impossible to beat when it comes to a fully well rounded car... then again I would say that as I have one :P.

But yeh, I think the key is be patient. When I was in the market for one I had some bloody close calls where my excitement and enthusiasm almost landed me a lemon (a few times actually) but thankfully people here and others kept me in line.

thanks for your input

yeh there could be a good chance the 15k m3 has got problems but it also doesnt have the usual interior of other m3s (just has normal e36 leather interior) and has reached 208,000ks which has affected the price.

the figure i want to spend is around $17 to $18,000 which is reasonable? i want one before this year ends

if i had the money i would buy your m3 in a heartbeat crazyarab

If you find a motivated seller you should be able to buy a good one for $17-18k. I don't reckon mine is worth any more than that (being a sedan I reckon knocks the price down another 10%).

If you find a motivated seller you should be able to buy a good one for $17-18k. I don't reckon mine is worth any more than that (being a sedan I reckon knocks the price down another 10%).

I assumed the sedans were worth more? Being more rare than the coupes.

Guest Simon*

I assumed the sedans were worth more? Being more rare than the coupes.

Try and market that Cam ;)

Try and market that Cam ;)

Mine is the extremely rare Byzanz Metallic.

I call it german racing brown. My brother in law calls it 'ol ginger.

Just coz its rare doesn't make it good or desirable, although the sedan suits me :)

The sedan's are less desirable IMHO - not as sexy, standard sport seats not the Vaders, etc (actually I think that's it - more doors and boring seats).

Another question, possibly off topic, but will the E46 M3 become cheaper than the E36? And when? Will it be because the E36 rises in price, or the E46 dropping?

Possibly need to look at other makes to answer this, but i think within 3 years there will be some the same price.

They will all eventually be worth something tho (in mint condition).

Mine is the extremely rare Byzanz Metallic.

I call it german racing brown. My brother in law calls it 'ol ginger.

Just coz its rare doesn't make it good or desirable, although the sedan suits me :)

The sedan's are less desirable IMHO - not as sexy, standard sport seats not the Vaders, etc (actually I think that's it - more doors and boring seats).

Pratical for the family and quick enough for when you need it. I think a tidy low ks sedan will still fetch the right amount of money, i also forgot, they have the 3.2 321hp motor :)

Ha! When I sell it I hope that's the case.

IMHO, like for like condition, an E46 will never be worth less than an E36.

The E46 is way better looking for a start, is visually distinguishable from a standard E46 (even one with a kit), and it should be a better car to drive (newer). Note - I have never driven one so have no idea, but have been driven in one.

I considered the E46 when I got my car. At the time it was a choice between ~$50k and slightly over $20k. I couldn't see the nearly extra $30k (and expected depreciation) being worth it.

Basically I don't see the E36 as ever being a proper classic (like the E30), but I do see a base value because they have about 300hp, are RWD, and handle well.

Edited by CamB

If you're worried about depreciation, dont buy cars, buy a house instead.

If you're worried about depreciation, dont buy cars, buy a house instead.

Cars go a little faster than houses :P but yes that is very true.