Sign in to follow this  
ant

Clutch problem?

328 have a clutch restrictor(very small hole) in the clutch line where the rubber pipe fits on to the steel pipe for the slave cylinder,this will cause your car to have clutch slippage when changing hard and dropping the clutch,is was done to save the driveline- can be removed(be carefull when driving when wet if removed), as for the hard pedal, normally due to aging of the pressure plate

328 have a clutch restrictor(very small hole) in the clutch line where the rubber pipe fits on to the steel pipe for the slave cylinder,this will cause your car to have clutch slippage when changing hard and dropping the clutch,is was done to save the driveline- can be removed(be carefull when driving when wet if removed), as for the hard pedal, normally due to aging of the pressure plate

Is it just the 328s that have these restrictors? I would think if was put there to save the driveline you wouldn't want to remove it?

325 +328 have helper springs on the clutch pedal(almost like a valve spring) to help depress the pedal from about half way, the best way to bleed the clutch is with a pressure bleeder, you should have a look at the rubber pipe to the slave cylinder -could be that it has a weak place? you could even use a solid pipe instead of rubber(was a e36 m3 3.2 mod to help raise the clutch contact point -as they were very close to the floor) the main reason for the grabbing could be the dual mass flywheel-as a normal clutch plate has springs in it and these dont

Where do you live Ant ?? If your in Auckland, bring it over and I'll check it for you

325 +328 have helper springs on the clutch pedal(almost like a valve spring) to help depress the pedal from about half way, the best way to bleed the clutch is with a pressure bleeder, you should have a look at the rubber pipe to the slave cylinder -could be that it has a weak place? you could even use a solid pipe instead of rubber(was a e36 m3 3.2 mod to help raise the clutch contact point -as they were very close to the floor) the main reason for the grabbing could be the dual mass flywheel-as a normal clutch plate has springs in it and these dont

Never pressure bleed a brake or clutch system that has a plastic resevoir, you run the risk of blowing the resevoir off if you get the pressure wrong and have brake fluid everywhere. Always vacuum bleed. Or do it with two people pumping the pedal and bleeding the appropriate cylinder.

You cant use a solid pipe in place of the hose. It will transmit engine noise and vibration. I think you will find that the clutch hose was replaced with a braided steel hose, not solid.

The dual mass flywheel is sprung and when faulty causes clutch judder. I'm sure thats not the problem he is experiencing though

Reading books and applying experience is like chalk & cheese. Let me have a look, or if your too far away, get it checked by a BMW agent, not the local garage. If you want advice or help....ring me

on e36 the clutch fluid and brake fluid come from the same container? im quoting only what we have done at a bmw dealership in south africa,

on e36 the clutch fluid and brake fluid come from the same container? im quoting only what we have done at a bmw dealership in south africa,

That is correct.