Sign in to follow this  
simke

E46 and sudden loss of power

Strange thing happened this morning. Hopped into car to go to work, everything is fine, stopped to get some food on the way. Went to start the car, and it wouldn't start at first - eventually it did. After about a minute of driving I noticed that it had all of a sudden lost power - even in first gear it was really slow to get the revs up, especially up to 2500 rpm. Once it had hit around 4000rpm seemed to pull as normal. No warning lights, engine sounded normal. Got to work (which is not far away), left the car parked for 30 minutes, tried it again just now and it all seems ok. Any ideas what this could be? Hasn't happened before.

Cheers

Needs to be scanned. Either exhaust or inlet camshaft position sensor or the airmass sensor.

Guessing wont fix it. Get it scanned. These faults sometimes wont throw up an engine check light.

Can check it for you today if you like

Edited by *Glenn*

We had a similar sounding problem with our 328.

From memory it was a Vanos problem.

Not something you can diagnose or fix yourself.

Needs to be scanned. Either exhaust or inlet camshaft position sensor or the airmass sensor.

Guessing wont fix it. Get it scanned. These faults sometimes wont throw up an engine check light.

Can check it for you today if you like

Thanks Glenn, but unfortunately I won't be able to get any time off work today to get to Botany :(

Might try BM Workshop, they are near by where I work.

The car is due for inspection soon anyway, so might do all that at once.

Cheers