Sign in to follow this  
BWD0WN

Help - e36 318i will not start

Hi Guys,

ok so having some issues here im lost. situation is - 1992 e36 318i sedan

background - pretty good runner no known issues, when planting boot there can be flat spot in acceleration.

was driving home, pulled into the drive way front wheels went up then back wheels went into drive, car then stuttered couple of times then stalled. put in park and tried to restart car, would not restart

got out, checked battery with multimeter, was reading 12.4v

car tries to turn over but wont start.

thought could be fuel pump, when turning key cant hear fuel pump do anything, try start car cant hear anything over the rrrrrrr of the engine but when stop trying to crank it can hear fuel swishing.

pulled out spark plug and then plugged back into lead put next to metal tried to crank car, no spark from plug.

HELP! please

i woulda thought if dizzy or plugs i would of noticed a performance decrease or miss?

when did this start happening?

I have recently discovered (thanks to Glenn for pointing me in the right direction) that the ECU can get water in it when the car is parked pointing up a hill and there is a huge downpour of rain.

It caused the car not to start, then to start and missfire all over the place, then stop, then start again and run fine then miss fire etc ... an intermittent fault.

If this sounds like it could be your problem, you need to remove the ECU, dry it off and leave it in the sun or hot water cupboard for a few hours to make sure it completely drys out. The ECU is located in the firewall behind the fuse box, it is easy to remove. Be cautious with static electricity.

If your ECU is dry then your problem could be any number of things ...

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

it didnt start happening as such, it just happened and now wont start, normally parked facing slightly downhill nose facing a fence.. basically went over a little rise from road to driveway car stuttered then stalled.

should the fuel pump "humm" when turn key to reds? all i hear is swishing in the tank when i turn the key back from the start position.

any checks i should be doing for fuel or spark side of things?

check the battery positve connection-has a small red wire connected in the terminal,if battery is not secured then this wire has a tendency to break off

bump!

ok so checked and the other red wire is connected to battery

spark plugs were sparking but they were nasty so have replaced them anyway so spark is ok (well ive tested 2 clyinders as thatd at least spark 2 cylinders

next on the list is fuel filter will attempt that tues night

read in a book i should hear a whirring from the fuel pump when i turn the key but all im hearing is a 2 second errr followed by swishing after ive finished trying to crank it over... that mean anything??

just did some more checks,

pulled the fuel line off on the engine side of the fuel filter and cranked the car, petrol pumped thru fine.

so

pulled off each spark plug lead and tested. only 1 out of 4 had spark!

where to from here?

cheers

just did some more checks,

pulled the fuel line off on the engine side of the fuel filter and cranked the car, petrol pumped thru fine.

so

pulled off each spark plug lead and tested. only 1 out of 4 had spark!

where to from here?

cheers

Either dealer or an Auto Electrician with a brain

Sounds like water in the DME

how can i test the DME? i have been reading that affects fuel pump nothing about spark tho?

car doesnt move so i cant take it anywhere and in awkward spot tow truck cant get

Have to be a M40 won't it, others have chains?

is 92 318i not sure on number i can look when i return home tomorrow.

have been told more than likely it has bent the vavles and the engine be poked :( happened pulling into my drive...

worth replacing the belt and seeing? i dont want to waste money, or worth replacing the engine if anyone has one?

very annoyed, had the car 6 months, brought it for $3,200

It'll be M40, may have bent valves, but may not. Should only need valves replaced and new cambelt, not that hard actually. Take it apart and have a look.

snapped cambelt! :angry:

Ooh - bummer dude.

You (or someone who knows what they are doing) will probably need to pull the head off to be sure there is no damage (don't forget to check pistons as well if there are bent valves). Good luck!

You dont need to take the head off to check for damage, take the rocker cover off, put the engine on TDC, back off 30' then turn the camshaft to firing on each cylinder and do a cylinder leak test

As Glenn said, also, take off rocker cover, if valves are bent, the rockers on will probably be loose, you'll be able to move them with your fingers.