Sign in to follow this  
325jones

drive line knock

e36 325i 5 speed

when starting off if i put my foot down anymore then 20% i get a single knock or a click sound from my rear right side (its just the one knock each time i take off)

diff???

the cv joints on my axles??

any help and cheap places for parts in chch

cheers

goin to have it over a pit 2day at work what should i be lookin 4?

Edited by 325jones

Id say bushes

like torque rod bushes??? or sway bar how would i test them?

e36 325i 5 speed

when starting off if i put my foot down anymore then 20% i get a single knock or a click sound from my rear right side (its just the one knock each time i take off)

diff???

cheers

I'd be checking hub nut, axle bolts (diff end),calliper mounts, disc pads...they could be moving in the calliper..especially check the inner pad and make sure the clip holding the pad inside the calliper piston is not broken. If all thats good check for loose suspension bolts, shock mount, or control arm mounts and bushes.

e36 325i 5 speed

diff???

cheers

got it up on axle stands at moment cant see anything out of the blue, had brakes apart both sides they look all good, all bushes look good,

cant feel any play in the cv (but how would i check them???)))

but the diff its not really noisey but its got a bit of a rumble

anyone in the chch islington area that knows a bit about them able to cum and have a look.

also i want to check the diff oil is it a 12 or 14mm allen key?? my set only goes up to 10mm

also whats the tool used to remove the alxes off the diff???

cheers all

Edited by 325jones

got it up on axle stands at moment cant see anything out of the blue, had brakes apart both sides they look all good, all bushes look good,

cant feel any play in the cv (but how would i check them???)))

but the diff its not really noisey but its got a bit of a rumble

anyone in the chch islington area that knows a bit about them able to cum and have a look.

also i want to check the diff oil is it a 12 or 14mm allen key?? my set only goes up to 10mm

also whats the tool used to remove the alxes off the diff???

cheers all

bump

still cant work it out

thinkin of removing the diff but not 100% sure

cheers

Check the subframe mounts. I had the same problem and just left it, until one day it made a really loud thump.

Finally decided to check it out and i had torn three of the four mounts clean off the body!!

(I still have the chunks of steel from the chassis, kinda like my keepsake haha)

I ended up welding in thicker steel mounting points and a bit of extra bracing

It wasnt the hardest job but it was a bit of a PITA and would have been alot easier if

i had of caught it earlier.

Though thats probably the worst case scenario

It could just be the bushes on the subframe mounts.

Check the subframe mounts. I had the same problem and just left it, until one day it made a really loud thump.

Finally decided to check it out and i had torn three of the four mounts clean off the body!!

(I still have the chunks of steel from the chassis, kinda like my keepsake haha)

I ended up welding in thicker steel mounting points and a bit of extra bracing

It wasnt the hardest job but it was a bit of a PITA and would have been alot easier if

i had of caught it earlier.

Though thats probably the worst case scenario

It could just be the bushes on the subframe mounts.

yer had a wee look around that part, couldnt see anything wrong but i would not know what to look for 4,

but after my talk with glenn on the fone i have chosen to bite the bullet and take it in to the shop, i hope its nice and cheap, get them to find it and then i will fix it,