Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

BMW M & JCW Mini Owner's driver training day - with Mike Eady

Mods, if I've put this in the wrong section, please move it - apologies.

Hi all

I've been talking to Mike Eady from BMW Driver training (and owner of www.tracktime.co.nz ) about an exclusive driver training day at Pukekohe or Taupo exclusively for BMW M and JCW Mini owners (that's owners with any M cars and also JCW Minis (numbers dependent))

Anyway, Mike has now come back to me with a possible date in February (16th of Feb) and possibly March (TBA) for those interested. (Taupo day TBA)

The day would be run at Pukekohe raceway under controlled conditions using your own M cars ... yes you get to explore what these cars are really about on a track with tuition and expert instructions from a well known professional race driver.

The cost would be $275 per person and this includes track hire, lunch, drinks, and specially tailored day for BMW M cars.

We need 20 cars to make this day happen.

If you are interested in this day please email me on aviemore.tom@xtra.co.nz or PM me here

Alternatively you can also contact Mike directly below:

Tel: +64 9 585-1134

Mob: 021 982-700

Thank you.

UPDATE BELOW!!!!

Edited by M3_Power

Hi I'm certainly interested, for $400 for the day I would expect some serious one on one tuition though?.

Do you have any idea what the format would be?

Cheers,

Ollie.

Hey, I've got a 335 Motorsport - it isn't a M3 (hehe, but goes like one...)

am I excluded?

Hi I'm certainly interested, for $400 for the day I would expect some serious one on one tuition though?.

Cheers,

Ollie.

Hi Ollie

Feel free to contact (or email Mike Eady directly about it) and I'll also find out the exact format. From what he tells me it won't be the same as the normal BMW driver training day - but more about going fast around Pukekohe and learning how to go fast.

Hey, I've got a 335 Motorsport - it isn't a M3 (hehe, but goes like one...)

am I excluded?

Without sounding elitist ... In reality everyone's welcome, we just want as many M cars as we can get (and that includes BMW motorsport equiped cars, so likes of your car, or even the E30 M325i). So basically if you drive a performance BMW, you are definitely not excluded.

i kind of agree, for $400 how much 1on1 time do we get with the instructor?

If you don’t get enough M-Cars I would most defiantly be interested to come along. As said though, for $400 I would expect some good tips as a track day at Pukekohe will normally cost me under a hundred

Without sounding elitist ... In reality everyone's welcome, we just want as many M cars as we can get (and that includes BMW motorsport equiped cars, so likes of your car, or even the E30 M325i). So basically if you drive a performance BMW, you are definitely not excluded.

Hmmm, so a 318i with an M badge? Two M badges?

Hmmm, so a 318i with an M badge? Two M badges?

Haha i knew your sedan was just a 318 with badges :P

Haha i knew your sedan was just a 318 with badges :P

I have lots of M badges in it! Boot, gearknob, instrument cluster, door sills, front rotors, rear trailing arms, rocker cover.

I have lots of M badges in it! Boot, gearknob, instrument cluster, door sills, front rotors, rear trailing arms, rocker cover.

Ya went all the way then huh.

Are either of you interested or are you just spamming :huh:

Why not come along in your far superior M3’s and show us how its done B)

$400 is a bit much for a track day, going to Taupo in march witha few guys from here anyways.

All cash being funnelled into the 2002 at present. Plus $400 is out there, as I don't mind mixing with (other) idiots on open days, etc.

Actually if I was going I would be all in favour of non-M cars. Unfortunately the M price tag at $400 might scare people off (it occurs I effectively have the cheapest M car).

Edited by CamB

Cheers,

Ollie.

By the sounds of it, a track day will go down well

okay ... bit of an update.

Spoke with Mike this morning and he's done a rethink on the pricing and the format of the day.

Basically we need 20 committed people by the 5th Feb (thursday next week) otherwise the day will not go ahead.

Date: 16th February 2009

COST: $275 (BUT NO FOOD OR DRINKS PROVIDED - BRING YOUR OWN!!!)

Car type: ANY BMW (M or NOT) AND ANY MINIS (JCW or OTHERWISE)

The day will be run on a similar format to the Mini drive days (stage 2)

Basically you will get

- briefing in the morning; signing indemnity forms ect (formality);

- class room teaching about track driving and the course layout

- practise on braking and turning (on the track)

- learning important sections and corners (on foot and then in car)

- Learning the proper lines

- back straight slalom challenge (include the hairpin corner)

- Lunch

- Full circuit all afternoon in 2 groups.

- Mike to take your own car around the circuit to show you what it can do (up to the owners individually of course and if they want to carry passengers) - I've yet to discuss this with Mike, but I don't see why he wouldn't be open to the idea (provided he's not liable for crashing your car of course :P Doubt that'll happen)

Those that still think this is expensive compared to an open day for $100 (for which I've been to plenty of) need to consider this:

- A normal BMW driver training day will set you back $500 (with food) - yet you are getting the same if not more from this day.

- Track hire prices have gone up.

- Mike's neck is on the line if anything goes wrong, so he has insurance considerations.

- I can't stress this enough, but learning braking and how to take the proper lines is very important in any form of driver training. Just because you've been around Pukekohe plenty of times, doesn't mean that you know how to drive Pukekohe (trust me on this one) - there will be plenty of things about your own driving that Mike can point out even if he's not in the car with you.

So if you are interested, please email or PM me straight away as soon as you can - so I can get a firm commitment for the day and collect payment for Mike.

feel free to email me:

aviemore.tom@xtra.co.nz

Edited by M3_Power

I would so jump on this if I had a little more funds...sorry, I hope you get numbers!!!!!

Oh buggery, that's smack in the middle of my exams :( I could definitely use some help with driving!

Any idea when you will know about the March and Taupo events? This is assuming caged cars -ie mine - are allowed? I will have a replica M325i? :lol:

I hope you get the numbers for Feb though!

Mad for it.

Please don’t let me be the only guy in a old BMW.

Okay currently confirmed:

1. M3_Power

2. mrad01

3. Apex

maybe?

4. Hi-Tek

still quite far from the 20 we need ... I guess the economic climate's having an impact on everyone.

No dates on the Taupo one yet - although there's more of a chance of that one happening if we can get this one going (otherwise I don't know how keen Mike will be to entertain another private group session).

March I might be up for it.......Feb not however. Please keep us informed if a March one happens

Okay ...

Because we can't get the numbers needed, so I've struck up a deal with Mike Eady.

Those that are still interested, can join up at a BMW Driver training day - the normal one run by BMW.

You'll be using BMW's cars and get given hot laps in an E92 M3 at the end of the day.

Please PM me if you are interested and I'll provide the details.

The driving day will be on the 17th February 2009.

Limited places only.