Sign in to follow this  
crazyarab

E36 M3 Timing Chain Rattle

Hi Guys,

My baby is suffering form the exact symptoms outlined in linked article below (Annoying rattle from front of valve cover at low rpm, seems to have gotten worse over last month or so).

http://www.geocities.com/rick_poon/tensioner.htm

Thankfully, the fix seems fairly straight forward!

My questions are:

- Anyone know where can I order the "upgraded" timing belt tensioner?

- Anyone have any comments on other things that may cause these symptoms that I should get my mechanic to look into?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by crazyarab

Although I cant comment specifically on bmw's nor on an M3, a year ago my Mercedes had the SAME symptoms, and at that it was intermittent. I took it to my mercedes agent who said sounds like you need a new chain.

I 'did my reading' etc via the net, where people ranted on about chains lasting forever. In turn I removed and cleaned up the tensioner. When I replaced the tensioner she had a constant noise that I assumed was something else I had broken.

The real fix in the end was a new chain, easy to fit and cheaper than a cambelt change! The chain WAS stretched to buggery and in servicing the tensioner to full working condition, had caused the chain to tighten and grind over the cogs.

Makes it a hell of a lot easier being an external tensioner, usaully they're found inside the chain covers. Without taking the chain covers off you won't be able to tell the condition of the chain.

Taking the covers off would be quite a task too. I assume you could just order the part through BMW.

Just had a look at mine, you could take the rockercover off and check the chain looseness? Unsure whether there would be enough room to check or not.

Makes it a hell of a lot easier being an external tensioner, usaully they're found inside the chain covers. Without taking the chain covers off you won't be able to tell the condition of the chain.

Taking the covers off would be quite a task too. I assume you could just order the part through BMW.

Just had a look at mine, you could take the rockercover off and check the chain looseness? Unsure whether there would be enough room to check or not.

Not like those Suzuki V6s ... an all day job and a about 2K in parts and labour. Be interesting to see what the M3 chains price up at.

Not like those Suzuki V6s ... an all day job and a about 2K in parts and labour. Be interesting to see what the M3 chains price up at.

Don't wanna know, surprising about the tensioner though.

The real fix in the end was a new chain, easy to fit and cheaper than a cambelt change! The chain WAS stretched to buggery and in servicing the tensioner to full working condition, had caused the chain to tighten and grind over the cogs.

Mmmm fair point, I am getting the mechanic to check the condition of the chain anyhow as the last thing I need is a snap...

I will keep you guys posted on how I get on.

Mmmm fair point, I am getting the mechanic to check the condition of the chain anyhow as the last thing I need is a snap...

I will keep you guys posted on how I get on.

I doubt the chain will snap man, very rare for that to happen.

By the way, these tensioners are auto tensioning so they can't put too much pressure on the chain, in no way like a cambelt tensioner! So you shouldn't have a worry there.

Guest Si Vis Pacem

Hi Guys,

My baby is suffering form the exact symptoms outlined in linked article below (Annoying rattle from front of valve cover at low rpm, seems to have gotten worse over last month or so).

http://www.geocities.com/rick_poon/tensioner.htm

Thankfully, the fix seems fairly straight forward!

My questions are:

- Anyone know where can I order the "upgraded" timing belt tensioner?

- Anyone have any comments on other things that may cause these symptoms that I should get my mechanic to look into?

Thanks in advance!

Slightly outside of the square but get the waterpump bearings checked too; they can generate a hell of a rattle when they're on the way out.

I doubt the chain will snap man, very rare for that to happen.

By the way, these tensioners are auto tensioning so they can't put too much pressure on the chain, in no way like a cambelt tensioner! So you shouldn't have a worry there.

If it is a stretched chain (which no doubt I will be proven wrong on) then the main reason they need replacing is that they wear down the teeth on the cogs- a replacemend apparently with through the roof costs

At 138,000km i highley doubt the chain would be stretched to the extent it starts making noises.

At 138,000km i highley doubt the chain would be stretched to the extent it starts making noises.

Lets hope so! Much rather spend the money on a fresh coat of paint than a bloody chain >.<

Edited by crazyarab