Sign in to follow this  
keen

e46 passenger seat air bag sensor

Is there someone that could suggest a link to the process of replacing the sensor mat?

on a e46 2000 318

Edited by keen

Has nobody run into this problem? I thought it was quite common

OK then maybe there is no link has someone changed the pad and can help with the exercise?

Probably not the sort of job to undertake DIY... you will need new ogg rings and special ogg ring pliers...do it wrong youll stuff the occupancy censor.. and SRS will need to be reset

most important thing to remember is to disconnect the battery for at least half an hour before any work is to be done on an airbag system,so that the capasitors can discharge completely, you can use small cable-ties instead of ogg clips. doing it in the car is a bit uncomfortable,remove the set 4 bolts,unplug the airbag harness under the seat,remove the seat from car,loosen safetybelt,loosen the side trim -torx screws,unhook the seat material and lift it slowly,you can cut the clips,try not to bend the side metal rods,take note where they are fastened ,until you can access the mat then replace..

Beauty thanks guys I have one of those sets of pliers and the local dealer has supplied the clips and the pad.

Glen the BMW fault finder that the dealer used to locate the fault could not pinpoint the problem to the pad or the small box that has the contacts in it I was a little disappointed as I thought that they could pick up a higher resistance if the box was the problem .It seems that they blanket replace both of them to cover their tails. Good for them but costly for me. that is why I'm doing it myself. The light still goes out intermittently so I'm running with the pad being the more suspect that the box.

I used to have an air bag in the passenger seat, but now I make her walk.

Nice one I like it. But now you gonna die, I emailed it to her. ha ha ha.

Beauty thanks guys I have one of those sets of pliers and the local dealer has supplied the clips and the pad.

Glen the BMW fault finder that the dealer used to locate the fault could not pinpoint the problem to the pad or the small box that has the contacts in it I was a little disappointed as I thought that they could pick up a higher resistance if the box was the problem .It seems that they blanket replace both of them to cover their tails. Good for them but costly for me. that is why I'm doing it myself. The light still goes out intermittently so I'm running with the pad being the more suspect that the box.

I'd go for the sensor mat first as well... only occasionally do you have to fit the control unit as well. I've been told that some of the dealers do both as a precaution. Not stating a fact here. It's just what I've been told and when ordering a new mat they always try to push a new controller as well.

Edited by *Glenn*

I'd go for the sensor mat first as well... only occasionally do you have to fit the control unit as well. I know the dealers do both as a precaution.

Not true Glenn, in all my time working for the dealership at JC BMW we have ever only changed faulty seat mats as thats the only problem we have come across.

Not true Glenn, in all my time working for the dealership at JC BMW we have ever only changed faulty seat mats as thats the only problem we have come across.

I've had to replace about 2 controllers as well and I've done hundreds of mats.... JC might just replace the mats, however I've been told by others that alot of the dealerships replace both. I'm not stating a fact...its just what I've been told. Keen was also told this by the dealer he went to. I'll edit my post

Thanks guys yes the dealer did tell me that both were now being replaced as they had customers coming back at a later date with the light on again only to find that the box was showing a fault now so that was the reasoning for both being replaced to prevent the problem trying to explain to the customer something else had gone wrong.

Hi Keen,

Did you manage to put in the passenger seat occupancy pad? Thinking of having a go myself. What was the cost of the pad and did you get a quote for the dealer to do it?

Found this link- seems a good writeup

My wife drives the car and well this is strange but it went out and and it has stayed out. she has even got a warrant and it has not played up so I have left well alone. But thanks for the link that has gone into the favorites file for future operations. I had a quote of $600 from a auto electrician who has done quite a few and the price from the local BMW dealer was if I remember rightly about $250 dollars for the mat. Hope that helps Also in the link there was reference to another bimmer site so thanks for that too