Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Waste spark M50B25

Hey people, Does anyone know what parts I would need to setup a waste spark system on my M50B25 motor. Want to do away with the individual coil packs. I know I need individual leads but am insure if I can use the same coil drivers as what the RB's use to covert to waste spark. Maybe the commodore coil packs?

Have googled and looked on bimmerforum and e30tech and various others but cannot find alot

Cheers, Luke

Why?

(foot in mouth) Yes they are sequential ..six drivers for coils & injectors...god knows what I was thinking about

What are you trying to achieve ??

Edited by *Glenn*

Why?

M50 is already wasted spark. 3 drivers in the DME for spark & injectors

1 & 6 are paired

2 & 5

3 & 4

hmmm, learn something every day, I'd always thought it was sequentional fuel and spark for some reason.

Individual coil packs > 3 coil packs firing wasted-ly half the time > distributor.

Why would pull an Chrysler/GM and step back through technology? :D

Why?

M50 is already wasted spark. 3 drivers in the DME for spark & injectors

1 & 6 are paired

2 & 5

3 & 4

I was leaning more towards the reliability of individual coil packs, but i supose my coil packs havnt packed out YET. I just want to make sure i can cover as much things as possible before I take her to get the link installed and tuned, narrow down as many possibilities as possible that could causeme to have to take the car away again and come pack to pay for more dyno time.

I've seen a few, more descent turbo setups on M50's on BimmerForums with waste spark setups. They must have a reason for doing it. Wether its the fact that the M50 is not already wasted spark firing or due to the reliability of the coil packs?

Luke

I was leaning more towards the reliability of individual coil packs, but i supose my coil packs havnt packed out YET. I just want to make sure i can cover as much things as possible before I take her to get the link installed and tuned, narrow down as many possibilities as possible that could causeme to have to take the car away again and come pack to pay for more dyno time.

I've seen a few, more descent turbo setups on M50's on BimmerForums with waste spark setups. They must have a reason for doing it. Wether its the fact that the M50 is not already wasted spark firing or due to the reliability of the coil packs?

Luke

I'd rather have coil over, than deal with leads. Maybe their reasoning was to go higher voltage. And if its not broken..why fix it, unless you have a sound reason for doing it, 2nd hand coils arent expensive and you wouldnt have to retune just because you changed a coil once its set up. I think you would have more issues long term using externally mounted coil packs with leads. Thats why most manufacturers have gone to coil over....no more leads

Edited by *Glenn*

Oh so they use wastespark due to the fact they get a stronger spark? I always thought it was because of reliability. Well that sways me back towards keeping the individual coils, Cheers Glenn.

Luke

Oh so they use wastespark due to the fact they get a stronger spark? I always thought it was because of reliability. Well that sways me back towards keeping the individual coils, Cheers Glenn.

Luke

No, what I was saying was maybe thats the reason for it...I'm not sure. When I get time I'm going to try and find out

It is more of a heat management issue on FI engines.

The coils break down with the heat (very common on RB's).

Leads are cheaper and serviceable.

Do the BMW coils have the ignitor on top of each coil? Or separate/in the DME?

Using a aftermarket CDI or high power ignitor often mean OEM coils can't be used, and generic twin post bosch coils are often used. Upgraded ignitors are often needed to get a strong spark with a decent plug gap & cold plugs when running higher boost (+20psi).

I wouldn't go down the path unless you really needed to!!

Switching is via the DME's 6 drivers. The coils have three wires power, earth and trigger wire. The DME switching will only handle the resistance that the OEM coils have. Any coil used must be of the same resistance

Edited by *Glenn*

Why?

(foot in mouth) Yes they are sequential ..six drivers for coils & injectors...god knows what I was thinking about

Edit: My foot hurts my mouth ^_^