Sign in to follow this  
zenetti

boy racers gone too far?

I'm not suggesting the Police ignore the problem. Merely the media. It's clear that the increased media coverage of boy-racer related incidents has inflated the egos of these morons and encouraged them to continue. By all means let the Police lay the smackdown in the meantime! :)

Interesting view, I couldn't agree with you more. Another comparison.... remember those 'gone in sixtey seconds' copy cats... stole those mercs from coutts auckland (legends haha, but not realy). If something looks fun and gives the adrenaline buzz of breaking the law, is then published for all to see, others will try it. Not that this is really related.. but what if drugs were made legal... no money in it, therefore nothing for gangs to do and break law, therefore less crime, less kids want to get started for the reason it's not illegal and 'cool' or 'hard', govt can also have an accurate idea of drug use, rather than guessing and being nieve, and regulate supply. Alot of other stuff would have to be taken into account, but interesting thought, along similar lines to this idea with boy racers :huh: maybe not haha.

Until Government get serious with this problem, then it will continue. These boy racers obviously are no better than thugs given their behavior as reported on the news. I think that creative solutions are needed and unfortunately our Government is not very good at coming up with anything that is not based on something that hasn't already been tried in the U.K or other european countries and based on previous research. There are a lot of things that could be tried ranging from placing curfews on young drivers, confiscating and selling or destroying cars early on, providing incentive schemes for good road behaviour as well as demerits (eg, no tickets in in a year provides discount on registration), early jail or detention for repeat offenders, limiting or forbidding modifications on cars owned or driven by young drivers, etc etc. Not all these ideas would work or would even be desirable - but my point is that government agencies (including to a degree the Police) seem to be sitting on their hands on this issue. The transport ministers response was particularly weak on the Christchurch issue. One does not need to travel down to Christchurch to ascertain the scale of the problem - it is already apparent that something needs to be tried now.

I agree that something has to be done, this behavior or lack of behavior is not aceptable, but i dont think that limiting modifications or cc ratings or curfews are going to work, no offence ducatiss, but clearly these people responsible have no respect for the law or others. so by changing/adding laws why should they change themselves. Yes one way about it might hav2 b confiscating/selling/crashing cars as they would find it a very expensive excersice to always replace.

But I also belive that there is a % not sure how bigger % of the responsiblity belonging to the parents. The old "My Jonny wouldn't do that" or "My Jonny's not at fault" I have seen this 1st hand parents telling cops this after a crash when the parents wheren't even there.

I agree that something has to be done, this behavior or lack of behavior is not aceptable, but i dont think that limiting modifications or cc ratings or curfews are going to work, no offence ducatiss, but clearly these people responsible have no respect for the law or others. so by changing/adding laws why should they change themselves. Yes one way about it might hav2 b confiscating/selling/crashing cars as they would find it a very expensive excersice to always replace.

But I also belive that there is a % not sure how bigger % of the responsiblity belonging to the parents. The old "My Jonny wouldn't do that" or "My Jonny's not at fault" I have seen this 1st hand parents telling cops this after a crash when the parents wheren't even there.

Yea thats true, but as you say with that percentage... I think you will find most of the accidents/ problems are caused by people not living at home (18-25), this group seems to be the serious boy racers, from what I see in the city anyway. But there are alot of younger people driving there parent supplied powerful cars that don't no how to handle them, been there myself. You can't limit what vehicles people can drive (it'll never pass in thss country anyway- public insist on fredom to rights to much, look at that anti-smaking bill issue). And I don't think increasing driving age will help much... a little yes, but the big problem is the over 18's IMO. Its an issue, just like drugs, assault and so on, it will always exist, but can only be reduced, the only thing I could think of is to increase fines, I simply think there low (80 buks isn't gonna make me think twice, but thats me, maybe it should be proportional to income?? so those people in the new mercs and porches (and bimmers..) are looking at $1000 fines rather than $80, and demerit points along with less leway- I've been very polite to officers whenever I've got pulled over and 9/10 times I've got off with a warning even tho I could have been snapped, and yes I like this very much, but I didn't learn. To be honest I think our police got bigger problems to focus on than traffic, boy racers are anoying, but see just as many accidents with normal, non g'd up car. Just my thoughts anyway.

An angry Police Minister is promising tough new measures to crack down on boy racers following an alleged ambush on a Christchurch police officer.

Judith Collins is meeting Police Commissioner Howard Broad on Monday to discuss possible law changes which could see boy racers lose their cars to the crusher.

"I actually want to see a few cars crushed and I'm really not about to put up with the sort of behaviour these guys have been indulging in," says Collins.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/christchur...alating-2458911

An angry Police Minister is promising tough new measures to crack down on boy racers following an alleged ambush on a Christchurch police officer.

Judith Collins is meeting Police Commissioner Howard Broad on Monday to discuss possible law changes which could see boy racers lose their cars to the crusher.

"I actually want to see a few cars crushed and I'm really not about to put up with the sort of behaviour these guys have been indulging in," says Collins.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/christchur...alating-2458911

Crushing seems a bit inefficient in these economic times to me haha. Maybe sell them... give them to the poor?? export them?? I don't see old Judith starting up that crusher. But would definately have an effect on the jerks that think there rice-ricers are be all and end all.

No offence taken - my point is that I don't have the answers, however we need to be trying different strategies whether they work or not in the long run, we need to be coming up with creative solutions. Now whether that be a carrot or a stick approach or a combination of both I'm not sure, but it's a bit like that sheriff in the States who runs that Tent city and boot camp for criminals - it's something different where other methods have failed. I don't totally blame our youngsters for this state of affairs, older generations have handed them the means to behave in this way on a platter by way of an irresponsible media, super fast cars, weak enforcement of the law by the courts, etc etc.

the only thing I could think of is to increase fines, I simply think there low (80 buks isn't gonna make me think twice, but thats me, maybe it should be proportional to income?? so those people in the new mercs and porches (and bimmers..) are looking at $1000 fines rather than $80, and demerit points along with less leway- I've been very polite to officers whenever I've got pulled over and 9/10 times I've got off with a warning even tho I could have been snapped, and yes I like this very much, but I didn't learn. To be honest I think our police got bigger problems to focus on than traffic, boy racers are anoying, but see just as many accidents with normal, non g'd up car. Just my thoughts anyway.

I really have to disagree with this one, it's not fair to penalise some one with a 745i for accidentaly going 115 on the motorway vs a sh*t ass car going 115 on the motorway... that will just be f**ked!

EDIT: thats just like saying, your black so you suffer double the concequences....

Edited by aliluya

I really have to disagree with this one, it's not fair to penalise some one with a 745i for accidentaly going 115 on the motorway vs a sh*t ass car going 115 on the motorway... that will just be f**ked!

EDIT: thats just like saying, your black so you suffer double the concequences....

Actually... shouldn't it be the other way round? Anyone with post 96 5/7 series has a speed limiter which can be easily set to 109km/h, hence when they speed, they are knowingly speeding (i.e. not accidentally).

Nah not cruise control mate, I'm talking about the actual limiter, you can set a limit, on the E39s it just beeps if you go over it and comes up with a warning on the pixel cluster, so you'll know when you're going faster than 109km/h, donno how it works in the new E65s, I donno whether it still beeps or whether you can actually electronically limit it. So if you own an E39/E65/E38 then setting a limit is only really 3-4 clicks away so there shouldn't really be any excuse for accidentally speeding!

Even e30's with OBC have the adjustable speed limit warning bell!

Linking fines to income is quite fair Ali. Linking fines to the type of car you drive is not.

If you earn $200k a year, a $600 fine isn't going to deter you too much. If you earn $18k a year it'll cripple you. Fines need to deter all people equally, hence relating them to income.

It would be a difficult system to administrate, and will have some downfalls, but its not as unfair as you say.

Personally demerits deter me more than any fine. That said, the current demerits system is fairly penalising - you can't get away with much before you lose your license - so I don't think it needs to be made any tougher. Same with the boy racer legislation - breaking traction etc all comes with license loss and impounding. The problem is they then go out and drive with no license. Sale of the car would be a fairly good deterrent.

That said, the odd cop already uses existing legislation to their advantage. My sisters BF was picked on by a cop. He hadn't broken the law, but the cop thought he'd seen him driving (was actually a different car altogether). Cop impounded his car and suspended his license on the spot. By the time the court day (defeneded hearing - first 2 appearance pleaded not guilty) came around he already had his license and car back (minus 28 days of getting lifts, trouble at work, and impound costs). The court ruled in his favour and he didn't have to pay the accompanying fine and had the charges wiped off his record and license, but he didn't get any compensation for his expenses which by that stage also included a lawyers bill.

Under the old legislation he would have had to go to court BEFORE they could take his license or car. So even if the above cop was certain that he had the right man (and we assume he did, and wasn't just being a d*ck) as with all law some get a pretty rough time of it. I can already see headlines of the wrong car getting crushed!

Edited by bravo

Yea what bravo said, its not what car you drive but how much income- so even if your not doing so well but lover ur cars (and have that 745i) your not going to get a huge bill, just one that should b enough to make you think twice. It can't be compared to racism but since you did it i'll do it. For comparison sake to this, see all those Maori and Pasific Island scholarships for school/ uni's, and the decreased grade requirement for them to get into med school/ law school? You could say that is racsist, or you could say because it is for the greater good, and it is bringing equality that it is alright.

Income related penalaties(or opposite) already exist, for example student allowance scheme... If your parents are wealthy, your penalised, if not you are advantaged by not having to pay back your loan, (bit more detailed than that but yea).

I won't take credit for that income idea, I think I'm thinking of another country who has pulled it off successfuly.

Linking fines to income is quite fair Ali. Linking fines to the type of car you drive is not.

If you earn $200k a year, a $600 fine isn't going to deter you too much. If you earn $18k a year it'll cripple you. Fines need to deter all people equally, hence relating them to income.

It would be a difficult system to administrate, and will have some downfalls, but its not as unfair as you say.

Personally demerits deter me more than any fine. That said, the current demerits system is fairly penalising - you can't get away with much before you lose your license - so I don't think it needs to be made any tougher. Same with the boy racer legislation - breaking traction etc all comes with license loss and impounding. The problem is they then go out and drive with no license. Sale of the car would be a fairly good deterrent.

I still personally think that it is a bit unfair based on income, i think that is the reason why there is demerit points, so that it is fair for everyone. If you incur more than 100 points you lose your licence. I think that is pretty fair.

And yes i would agree with impound of vehicle, if you have no licence and drive impound the vehincle for 30 days or more.

Comments make some good points. What happens if the car is stolen or on finance? You can't be crushing a stolen car or a car the finance company owns. Boy racers will just tick up all there cars (aren't they all anyway???). Car can't be crushed as the finance company has a lien on it, and there is no way the govt would get away with destroying loan collateral.

Cool shredder though.

Edited by bravo

Comments make some good points. What happens if the car is stolen or on finance? You can't be crushing a stolen car or a car the finance company owns. Boy racers will just tick up all there cars (aren't they all anyway???). Car can't be crushed as the finance company has a lien on it, and there is no way the govt would get away with destroying loan collateral.

Cool shredder though.

Actually, it may still work - what would happen is that Finance companies would not lend (or lend at very high rates) to high risk drivers - much the same as insurance companies work. Whether or not there is a lein on the car should be immaterial, that is a risk the loan company would either accept or not accept based on driving history. Eventually we would see young drivers driving very cheap and old hand me downs. Stolen cars are another story. It's a theory anyway. I see though that true to form and as I said in one of my other posts the Police are looking to the U.K for ideas http://tinyurl.com/buwvo4 - the latest being to hand the offender a piece of paper requiring them to stop their behaviour! I say come up with our own original ideas. I'm over and out on this topic.

Edited by ducatiss

Back in my youth when I needed a loan to buy a car I had to tell the bank what I was buying before they would even give me the forms to fill in....and that was only 20 years ago.

These days banks give out money like confetti and we can see where that has got us.

IMO its far too easy to get your licence, get the money and buy a car in NZ. There is no respect (theres that word again) for what a car is, or is capable of doing and little responsibility around alcohol either.

God, I sound old.

Back in my youth when I needed a loan to buy a car I had to tell the bank what I was buying before they would even give me the forms to fill in....and that was only 20 years ago.

These days banks give out money like confetti and we can see where that has got us.

IMO its far too easy to get your licence, get the money and buy a car in NZ. There is no respect (theres that word again) for what a car is, or is capable of doing and little responsibility around alcohol either.

God, I sound old.

wasnt so long ago that you couldnt get any kind of loan for a car etc without a guarantor...

Car crushing will be coming - unfortunately genuine car enthusiasts with modified cars are going to get caught up in what i predict will be a pretty big reaction (over -reaction?)

Heres an idea - let them do it again, block the road and repsond in force, bring a tank, and squah every one of the little turd prides and joys, then throw the creeps in jail and make them all do community service.

Even e30's with OBC have the adjustable speed limit warning bell!

On the surface this makes sense BUT a lot of people driving some very expensive cars, living in some very expensive homes have under our current tax law almost no income. I suggest less fines and more immediate consequence - like instant impounding your car - now thats going to get anyones attention. Caugh driving your pink stickered POS - a trip to the crusher.

By the way saw some moron stopped by the cops with his pink stiucker still on his POS. Guess where he was trying to park - in Harris Street beside Wellington central police station, right opposite where the patrol cars exit the building. LOL

By the way saw some moron stopped by the cops with his pink stiucker still on his POS. Guess where he was trying to park - in Harris Street beside Wellington central police station, right opposite where the patrol cars exit the building. LOL

Epic Fail!! :lol:

I've never really been into actually going to New Zealand "drag racing"...not much of the actual drag racing goes on around BOP...it's more like a little rude trail of tryhard crappy s13s and Integras driving to Hamilton.

I think it's time wasting, I'm too good for those boys anyways.

Back on topic girl. That is pretty ruthless in consideration to what happened in Christchurch. I think they got too carried away (the "boy racers").

Some people dislike the police...but I thought that kind of ambush business only happened in the hoods of the U.S.

The cop was only doing his job, come to think of it. Poor dude.

Just came back from Australia, their laws are quite a bit more stricter, most young people have little run arounds, just because it is so costy over there for insurance and regos, etc! I was blown away!

Boy racers, or people who generally are caught racing get slapped across the face quite hard...

Get caught 1st time: Fines! Fines!! Fines!!

................2nd time: Car Impounded for like a month or something...

................3rd time: Car Crushed. (Too bad, how could you be so stupid anyway!)

I'm thankful I'm too cool and hot in my roller for any of that drag racing nonsence... :D

Going fast does suck petrol eventually...and paying off fines = MONEY LOST! I'd rather spend it shopping!

P.S I recall hearing Brisbane has a whole freeway which is avaliable to the public for drag racing. It is a hit over there. All of the "boy racers" congregate there along with their car hoes.

Crapanese imports would make up 99% of the cars involved, guaranty it. Take from that what you will.

i dont get it, under current laws cars can be impounded and sold for repeat offenders. whats the difference if it gets crushed? i would rather get my car crushed than sold to someone else??? another idiotic idea from the "stamping out/tackling the boyracer problem" brigade