Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

quick little temp sensor question

Guest FrantiC

There are both blue and brown sensors on my thermostat housing. I need to replace either one or both (might do both depending on cost).

Which one is for engine temp, For the ECU? And which one is for the cluster temp gauge?

When I turn the key to ignition, the temp on the cluster goes to the 3rd line, or the 1st mark. Never moves at all. I assume the sensor is crapped out?

Brown sensor for the gauge cluster

Blue for the coolant temp sensor

If replacing the sensor doesn't work try taking out the gauge cluster and checking gauge contact points

Guest FrantiC

Brown sensor for the gauge cluster

Blue for the coolant temp sensor

If replacing the sensor doesn't work try taking out the gauge cluster and checking gauge contact points

Cheers.

Probably doesn't help I cut the wires for the brown one and "extended" them as it was way to short to plug into the sensor.

Picture for reference. Note where the brown sensor is and where I have cut the wires and temporarily taped them together (they will be properly crimped).

Posted Image

Could be my half-ass job of extending the wires or something ?

Just wondering why your temp sensor is mounted where it is. Ever bmw ive seen has it next to the coolant sensor

Guest FrantiC

Just wondering why your temp sensor is mounted where it is. Ever bmw ive seen has it next to the coolant sensor

Yeah I tried moving it where they normally go but this one seems way bigger and when I moved it there the fuel rail go in the way and wouldn't fit in properly. That was the original spot it was mounted and the only hole it will fit.

Maybe wrong sensor?

I think so. Here's what suppose to look like. Id buy a new one put it in proper place

post-733-1233450705_thumb.jpg

that big one is for a cold start injector(its a thermo time switch ,not a temp senor) . your face lift system doesn't need that any more .

just put a std temp sensor in .

Guest FrantiC

I think i have a spare that looks like the one Eagle has shown.

It only has 1 prong though. Is that normal?

Ah yeah cold injectors, was wondering what that spare thermostat housing bolt was for.

Yeah temp sensor is only one prong

Edited by Eagle

Ah yeah cold injectors, was wondering what that spare thermostat housing bolt was for.

Yeah temp sensor is only one prong

you need the newer temp sensor with 2 pins . old type only had one spade terminal

I know the plug has 2 terminals but never seen a 2 prong type sensor. Parts number for my car all bring up temp sensor with one prong.

I know the plug has 2 terminals but never seen a 2 prong type sensor. Parts number for my car all bring up temp sensor with one prong.

thats because you are using a chasis number from a preface lift car instead of the face lift model where the engine ecu type came from.

any way they look just like the other small one with 2 pins . have instock .

in papakura

Guest FrantiC

I pulled the big one out and put the small one I had in. See how that goes when I go for a drive. I assume I would need the 2prong one as the plug is 2wire but I will see how she goes.

The big sensor has "VDO" on it though. Not sure if that means it is related to the VDO instrument cluster temp gauge?

fwiw sometimes the connection to the sensors are corroded and that makes read wrong

I pulled the big one out and put the small one I had in. See how that goes when I go for a drive. I assume I would need the 2prong one as the plug is 2wire but I will see how she goes.

The big sensor has "VDO" on it though. Not sure if that means it is related to the VDO instrument cluster temp gauge?

the big one actual has a bi metal thermistor . which activates the cold start injector on pre face lift models only when engine is cold and in start position

Guest FrantiC

the big one actual has a bi metal thermistor . which activates the cold start injector on pre face lift models only when engine is cold and in start position

Oh ok. Well I just went for a long drive now and the gauge only moved up to the blue area and didn't go up at all.

Looks like Ill have to get the proper 2 prong one at some stage.

Cheers for the help guys ;)

thats because you are using a chasis number from a preface lift car instead of the face lift model where the engine ecu type came from.

any way they look just like the other small one with 2 pins . have instock .

in papakura

I was using my E30 chassis number which is a face lift car. Not sure what the second prong does but my gauge is working fine.