Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

car wont start

hey guys, put my new engine in (87' m20b20, ecu from a 83', both pf/l) but the damb thing wont start

• its got fuel to the rail
  • its got spark to the spark plugs
  • the starer motor turns it over
  • its just goes plop plop plop plop, no sign of ignition

do the fuel injectors have a separate grounding somewhere? as i have a feeling fuel is not being injected.

cheers in advance

edit- with the afm off it kicks a bit, eg, plop plop plop chi-bang chi-bang plop plop :P

this is retarded

Edited by Jamez

hmmm a few people have suggested that,how do i set the timing? as the car is stuck in the garage

hmmm a few people have suggested that,how do i set the timing? as the car is stuck in the garage

by rotating the distributor and using a timing light.

just did a compression test, getting 200-210 psi on all cylinders :o thats too much, maybe owner previous skimmed the head/block too much?

i will endeavor to mess with the timing, but i really got no idea

any idea how much it is to get a new timing belt installed?

Edited by Jamez

Guest FrantiC

Check the belt timming yourself.

Trouble with those older engines is the dizzy runs of the intermediate pulley, which has no timing marks and when the belt gets done sometimes timing for the dizzy is changed. Rotate engine to TDC (line the crank mark to TDC), then check the rotor is pointing to where the #1 ignition wire sits on the dizzy cap.

hmmm new twist to the whole thing, got home from cricket today was like meh lets give it a go agian, turned the key and went for a few seconds, when cleaning the sparkplugs i noticed black gunk on some of them, is it posible that the engine is just filled with gunk and needs i run threw. When i turn the key its starting to want to start like chug bang bang chug bang chug bang bang bing bang plop :P only works when the battery is fully charged though, with my battery charger the engine only sounds like it wants to work when all 4 lights are on for charge level but after a few goes it says its 2/4 lights full

odd <_<

Edited by Jamez

hmmm new twist to the whole thing, got home from cricket today was like meh lets give it a go agian, turned the key and went for a few seconds, when cleaning the sparkplugs i noticed black gunk on some of them, is it posible that the engine is just filled with gunk and needs i run threw. When i turn the key its starting to want to start like chug bang bang chug bang chug bang bang bing bang plop :P only works when the battery is fully charged though, with my battery charger the engine only sounds like it wants to work when all 4 lights are on for charge level but after a few goes it says its 2/4 lights full

odd <_<

May be flooded - try new plugs. But really - hard to explain all variables & solutions if you don't really know what you are doing. Maybe best to get it proffesionally checked. DONT mess with valve timing if you have no idea - it's either right or wrong - NO in between

Have you got all the air intake hoses clamped on tight, and all hoses sealed up, had a similar problem with my car wanting to start, just didnt have full vacume, check the intake pipe from the AFM for leaks. Also, fully charge the battery for up to a day, most chargers are slow, also replace/clean plugs and check leads are all on properly etc. I am sure there are other obvious things to check haha

ive already checked all the obvious things, all plugs are getting good spark ect ect no air leaks ect ect

the fact that im getting 210psi compression makes me think its something a bit more involved, i know for a fact that a fully recon'd engine that's been decked ect gets about 190psi so how does some old untouched m20 get 210psi :/

gonna get the car out and try start it going down a hill 2moro :)

ive already checked all the obvious things, all plugs are getting good spark ect ect no air leaks ect ect

the fact that im getting 210psi compression makes me think its something a bit more involved, i know for a fact that a fully recon'd engine that's been decked ect gets about 190psi so how does some old untouched m20 get 210psi :/

gonna get the car out and try start it going down a hill 2moro :)

Make sure you can tow it back up :)

We had done a similar thing with an sr20 transplanted into a pulsar...unfortunately the going down a hill thing didnt work so well :P

well im guessing since its getting so much compression it takes alot of energy to spin it fast enough, going down a hill in first might be enough :P either that or i somehow break it : :o

hill start didn't really work at all, it starts but just doesn't want to keep going

where would i go to get someone to have a looksee, and pinpoint the problem on the shore?

Guest FrantiC

Check the timing dude. It's easy. Line it up TDC.. check the ignition rotor is in the #1 position on the dizzy.

Could be oil in the cylinders?

Could be oil in the cylinders?

thats exactly what ive been thinking the whole time, it would explain the really high compresion

how do i go about ridding it?(dont want to take the whole thing apart) :)

edit-

left the car out in the sun for the afternoon, come back turn the key it starts, was so surprised didn't give it any gas to keep it going :lol: im pretty sure there is something in those cylinders that's stopping the whole thing

so i did another compression test, all cylinders down 20psi, except No.2 which is at 160psi now, that would explain why it is sounding a bit more like it wants to start. cylinder 1,3,5 had spark plugs smothered in oil.

im guessing at somepoint the engine was on its side causing oil to seap threw the engine into the cylinders

Edited by Jamez

Found the problem

Fuel Injectors Are Not Injecting Fuel Because there not getting any power

is there a ground somewhere im missing? ( on the previous engine it had ground's coming half way in the loom, none to be seen on this)

is it ecu related?

Edited by Jamez

swapped the loom with the old engine, car goes with a push start, but the starter motor dosent go now :huh: when i turn the key fully on it makes a click then clicks agian upon turning the ignition on to on

this is purely the loom or the way i have wired it up as it worked befor i swapped the loom over

anyone know whats wrong with it?

probably the way you have wired it, check the spade connectors are on properly, they often come loose.

the looms were completely different, funny how 5 years amkes so much difference

i just put a jumper lead from the engine onto the starter motor and it worked

going to get a permanent one from repco 2moz :)

woot woot

Guest FrantiC

Was gonna say you better check you have the oil pan ground connected, and that it is in good condition. Even putting it the opposite way around (oily grease covered side) can stop it from working and the starter cannot ground properly.

Seen small wires in the loom melted because of it, Were the starter tries grounding through the smaller wires Lol.