Sign in to follow this  
Matt

E30 316i popping out of fourth gear

Ok, having a bit of trouble with my fourth gear :(

When down shifting from fifth to fourth it keeps popping out of gear when I re-engagE the clutch. It slots in fine, but then when I let the clutch back out the gear will pop straight out. Then if i put my foot back on the clutch and try to put the gear quickly back in it will crunch and not engage. It doesn't do it all the time but it is especially prone to it when the revs have to rise to over ~2500-3000rpm after the shift. I have had no trouble at all so far on up shifts and it only happens on fourth gear.

Any ideas what this could be? Synchros? Shifter fork? There is a z3 short shifter fitted if that makes a difference.

Does it sound like something fixable or are these the signs of a terminal gearbox?

Thanks,

Matt.

Hey bro, sick to see another e30 316i owner on here :D

My mate had similar problems with the gear box in his Swift GTi, could be anything of what you have listed, to gearbox or engine mounts as well. Took him several hundered dollars to diagnose, and in the end he just found another box. Check the gearbox oil and see if it is dirty or has shiny specks in it, if it does, looks like the synchros or a gear has been damaged.

If you want a cheap and easy fix, I would cut your losses and just find another gearbox. Just my 2c

Im sure if you asked, someone could secure you one for cheap as chips.

Best of luck mate, Nathan

Hey bro, sick to see another e30 316i owner on here :D

My mate had similar problems with the gear box in his Swift GTi, could be anything of what you have listed, to gearbox or engine mounts as well. Took him several hundered dollars to diagnose, and in the end he just found another box. Check the gearbox oil and see if it is dirty or has shiny specks in it, if it does, looks like the synchros or a gear has been damaged.

If you want a cheap and easy fix, I would cut your losses and just find another gearbox. Just my 2c

Im sure if you asked, someone could secure you one for cheap as chips.

Best of luck mate, Nathan

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I bought the red one off Glenn.

I'll check the gearbox oil tomorrow and see what shows up. I think you might be right though about just trying to find another box.

Oh, I forgot to mention before that it seems to be worse when the gearbox is warm than when it's cold. Might as well give all the info I can, I suppose!

Haha thats a nice car, and im sure Glenn has more qualified advice than me. E30's are such easy cars to diagnose and replace things on, get any newer and its becomes abit less caveman like, this is half the fun.

240 boxes should be easy to find and pretty cheap.

Sorry to here the cars giving you trouble Matt. It wont be engine or gearbox mounts. The gearbox is full, it doesnt have any leaks and we checked all the fluid levels before you brought it. Drop it over on Tuesday . Give me a ring first. You can ring me today if you like 021921377