Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

What could have caused this.

Not a good day today. After running a few errands around town was heading home and was only two blocks away when a hell of a bad clonking sound came from under the bonnet.

Pulled straight over and stopped the car and opened the hood. Had a good look but could not see anything. The sound was not a motor sound so while looking under the hood i got the missus to give the car a quick start.

The fan (directly in front of the motor) was kicking around all over the place.

Anyway called a mate and we pushed the car home. I pulled out the radiator as I thought it had broken the belt but once i had it out the belt was off but not broken. A coupe of blades are now missing from the fan.

I am wondering what could have caused this , Looking down at the fan it looks like its on a slight tilt, not an up or down type of tilt but a slight one leaning inward right. Maybe this is how it sits as grabbing the fan there is no side to side movement or anything.

I have noticed in the last 4 or 5 days when i started the car and it was idling there was a slight vibration but at the time i did not really think anything of it.

What i think i am going to do is just put everything back together and call the local beemer workshop they can come and get it and i get it sorted properly. The car is covered by lumley so hopefully they will pickup the tab.

Would anybody know what may have caused the belt to jump ship. ???

Edited by presso

Just a guess but is there any damage around the fan blades? it might have dug into the radiator or cooling pipes some how?

Just a guess but is there any damage around the fan blades? it might have dug into the radiator or cooling pipes some how?

There is no sign of damage on the fan at all apart from the two blades that have broken off. I think they have come off as the belt has come off and the fan has caught the belt.

Mate, If its covered under a mechanical warranty send it into the best repairer and let them sort it out. Don't mess around with it yourself, especially seeing its covered.

Like ^^ said, the blades come off an can damage surrounding things. When the repaired fixes it make sure they check the close things out.

Good luck with getting it fixed.

Sounds like a collapsed water pump bearing.

If the belt came off and damaged the blades, it would have to be a tensioner, idler or waterpump bearing that caused it. Your mechanic Insurance should cover it. Dont try driving it though. With the fan being on an odd angle, I would say its probably the water pump that has caused this though.

Will be putting the radatoir back in today only reason i took it out was because i thought it was a snaped belt.

Will ring the repairer on monday and they can come pick it it up and there should be no reason the insurance company should not pickup the tab for the fix.

Will be putting the radiator back in today only reason i took it out was because i thought it was a snaped belt.

Will ring the repairer on Monday and they can come pick it it up and there should be no reason the insurance company should not pick-up the tab for the fix.

Just a small update on this, I put everything back in this morning ready for them to come pick it up tomorrow and i was just reading about removing the belts and the fan.

I was thinking because the fan was all over the show maybe the pump has gone. I went back out and threw a 32mm on it and locked the shaft off and went to undo it and the whole this is moving all over the place which leads me to thinking the bearing has gone.

Do these have a bearing that can be replaced , That's why i think the belt has come off its because the water pump bearing has let go.

Not touching it any more anyway as that's what i pay Lumley insurance for, they can sort it out.

Only let them put a OEM pump back on . Some of the aftermarket ones have given problems. Lumley are great to deal with. Bearings are not replaceable. New pump only.

Only let them put a OEM pump back on . Some of the aftermarket ones have given problems. Lumley are great to deal with. Bearings are not replaceable. New pump only.

Rung Bmw this morning and a tow truck is comming around to pick car up, Then rung Lumely and they were fantastic, Excess of $200 on Elite cover so only have to pay for anti freeze etc.

Bmw are busy as hell though said they might not be able to look at car until thursday, Oh well at least i know its at the right place for treatment :D

Car was taken away and Bmw just got back to me, Water pump failed causing the belt to come off and cause all sorts of damage. They are putting in a new pump and fan and coupling and surround. Also they noticed the idler hydraulic tensioner was getting worn and although this was not the cause Lumley are going to treat this as a second claim so we get all this fixed. There are in total about 20 parts costing $1580 dollars :o , Because i am going to make 2 claims one for all the main stuff and one to cover the idler tensioner its gonna cost me $435 (35 is for the coolant.)

All in all I am pretty happy they are replacing a lot of stuff, even the base mudguard that runs right across the underneath the radiator all of course with oem parts.

Its a pity they would not cover the idler as part of the first claim but as Bmw said they managed to nail them down to do the idler on the second claim. Oh they also cover coming and getting the car towed to Bmw.

Lesson learnt is to have mechanical warranty as it can save u money when u need it.

Glad you got it all sorted. My friend has a Jeep covered with Lumley and they have been quite good to hime lately.

Regular servicing is a requirement for the mechanical insurance if I'm not mistaken??

Either that or regular servicing which would probably have picked up the deterioration of the water pump and precluded all the drama and expense

Mine went 3weeks after my inspection 2 service,

I asked how it wasnt picked up "JC sometimes they just go with no warning"

Needless to say that was an expensive month

Glad you got it all sorted. My friend has a Jeep covered with Lumley and they have been quite good to hime lately.

Regular servicing is a requirement for the mechanical insurance if I'm not mistaken??

Yup its part of the warrenty that you have the car serviced every 10k, if you don't it voids the warrenty. The guy at Bmw said yup sh*t happens sometimes they just let go. Anyway all nice new stuff going in now.

Forgot to update this. I got the car back last Wednesday and they had done a fantastic job. All parts replaced, New water pump and belts including belt to acc comp. All new radiator hoses a full fan including the viscious (sp) coupling. Also new idlers and hyd belt tensioner.

When i pick the car up i was surprised the car had also been completely cleaned and polished and detailed in side as well. Top marks for doing that. The Mech came out and went through every nut and bolt they changed and how things went. They also put new BMW surrounds on my number plates.

All in all top marks BMW chch for the service you gave me and the work carried out alot faster than was first thought. Will be heading back there for my next service. :D