Sign in to follow this  
User Name

Evo engine into BMW

Hi Guys

I might be getting hold of a evo4 engine which needs some work, so would be another project for the long haul

but has anyone heard of someone doing this or can anyone suggest a car to put it in lolz

e30 :ph34r: buy one of the butt ugly ones on trade me, strip it out, put the motor in and save it from being hit from here to hell even further by the ugly stick.

For RWD I suspect its hard work (I recall there is a gearbox that works - Starion? ... but is it strong enough?) How do you deal with the sump? Etc.

You could put it in a Hyundai. Pretty sure they have a similar engine (non turbs)*.

* Warning - could be talking out arse.

(edit - infos here http://www.driftworks.com/forum/technical/...-been-done.html )

Edited by CamB

Expensive exercise. There's one in an E30 on Bimmerforums somewhere. There was also a Fraser with that motor on T'me some time ago. Both cases only true IIRC.

So it's do-able. Just depends on how deep your pockets are :)

EDIT: Info from the thread Cam posted

Take a SOHC block from a 4G63-powered Starion (this one's called the "wideblock" because it's 1 inch wider than a transverse 4G block). With a 1987 to 1988 Mazda B2600 pickup bellhousing it is possible to use a FC3S RX-7 Turbo II gearbox and clutch with a Starion flywheel. There is a lot of detailed information on this available on projectzerog.com:

Edited by JiB

Yea i think it would be fun to try see if you can do it

the forum seems like its possible, you could spend lots of cash and try convert it and leave it standard and mod around it,

i think a road legal car with this engine might be a big push but if i can get something up and running could have some fun lolz

You could make it simple and drop in a complete 12valve star ion turbo motor and 5spd box in.

sure its not DOHC or an EVO motor but they are a very solid reliable unit and can push some decent torque and hp when setup correctly.

mate of mine put a 4g63 in a mazda b2000 minitruck, running an l200/l300 gearbox. Tough as nails.

Doooo it

Ps. does stuff like this.

Drop on chassis rail and do work

p.p.s lol @ commentary :P

Edited by ED1RTY

i dont really see the point, they sound horrible!

My mate stroked one to 2.3l and put it in his mirage, 300-400hp at the front wheels :lol:.

Has similar results.

thanks guys that project zero website helps great, just need to fix the cylinder which my mate got quoted 2.5k but thats without even opening the engine up.

if its just a oil ring etc wont cost much, and ive got time to play lolz, ill prob get the engine for a couple of hundred so who cares right.

ill def keep you all upto date with whats going to happen

My good mate and I are currently Twin-camming his Starion, Evo 4 from the head gasket up. Forged pistons. Should be good for 400bhp in what I think is 'the jappa e30'.

As for putting one in an e30? It's an alloy 4cly with plently of power, it'd be fun. Make sure you get a 320i or better so you get the tougher driveline parts.

Guest Simon*

* Warning - could be talking out arse.

Nothing to do with Evo engine transplants but good work Cam!

If only more members used this disclaimer while posting ;)

Gold

Good luck with project Kym