Sign in to follow this  
bmw335i

e30 ti 5stud

Hi, have now e36ti 5stud my e30. the rear went in well. am waiting on offset bushes for the front. from BNT.. Aparently the next shipment is comming 1st march so i have to wait a few weeks before i can start rolling and mucking around with the front guards. I have ( persuaded? ) the rear guards to fit my 255/40/17" 5series wheels and i gues ill have to do some work to the front as they are 235's. All looks well in the rear. I have taken out the springs in the rear so i can get as much clearance and the right shape. i can lower it down so that the sill jacking point is 14.5cm off the ground. so its low but well above legal limmit.

I will post up some pics im the next few days...

oh yes and my mums standard e36 rims look the bizz with the big guards on the rear lol you will see.

Sounds epic bro, cant wait to see pics of this. Would like to attempt this too one day:)

Using E36 parts on the front end of the E30 really screws up all the nice caster it has, and pushes the front wheel backwards so it looks quite silly. Too many downsides just for nice wheels in my opinion.

Using E36 parts on the front end of the E30 really screws up all the nice caster it has, and pushes the front wheel backwards so it looks quite silly. Too many downsides just for nice wheels in my opinion.

There is a combo of parts that work that puts the wheel in a better posistion... I think its 97+ M3 control arms give more caster + offset control arm bushings, dosent get it perfect, but gets it close.

But yeah, the only proper way of doing it imo is using e30 m3 parts...

bmw335i: What parts did you end up going with? How is your caster and wheel placement?

But yeah, the only proper way of doing it imo is using e30 m3 parts...

Unfortunitly true .. and far from the cheapest way of doing it :(

Bilstien make a complete e30 m3 strut and coilover system. Then you just have to get the brake and hub setup + off set bush :)

Running a set of these = OOOSum bro

Posted Image

Bilstien make a complete e30 m3 strut and coilover system. Then you just have to get the brake and hub setup + off set bush :)

Oh do tell me more please. Does it come with the bottom part too (to attach to control arm and tie rods)? The bit the strut bolts onto at the bottom?

Coz replacing the hub is part of preventative maintenance and upgrading the brakes is something that occurs anyway on my "one day" project.

Ooooh - just checked the price of M3 hubs (almost 3x price of normal E30). Ouch. Maybe not then.

Cool would love to see more about this setup and/or the M3 way. Gotta get some more rubber in the rear of mine very soon haha!

Hi, well at present. the front wheels cant steer as they sit back too far. so ive got to wait on the offset bushes.

so so-far just e36 rear end and e36 front struts brakes ect. the real reason i am 5studding the e30 is because i have a nice e34 535i manual i am going to pull the engine and gbox out of. so i think im going to need some good grip in the rear as the e34 has enough power as it is. and i think controll arms will be purchased at a later date when i get some more cash and a wheel alignment.

You must be reading the wrong information then.

There are plenty of race proven e36 5lug'd E30 to prove otherwise.

And my wheel alignment for example (refer sig.link below).

Oh do tell me more please. Does it come with the bottom part too (to attach to control arm and tie rods)? The bit the strut bolts onto at the bottom?

Coz replacing the hub is part of preventative maintenance and upgrading the brakes is something that occurs anyway on my "one day" project.

Ooooh - just checked the price of M3 hubs (almost 3x price of normal E30). Ouch. Maybe not then.

Use E28 front hubs, same part essentially, only difference is the ABS ring has different no. of teeth.

Which doesn't matter if you don't have ABS, otherwise the rings can be removed & swapped over.

Back on topic.

Love to see some pics!!

I was running 245/40 on the ti rear on 17x8" et38 wheels and they fit nicely with a gentle roll.

You must have mothered the guards to fit 255/40's on 5er wheels!!!

Also, with not using the correct arms up front, I think you will still find the wheel is not far enough forward to use in the interim, but see how you go.

Pics Pics Pics !!!!

What's the Max front camber and castor you can run with your set up?

There are some great BBKs (massive lee's kits)and wheels for the 4x100 stud pattern out there, that's why I see no need for this personally. And if wide tires want to be run, then Rota Slipsteams for about a grand, 16x8 et20, fit the bill.

Hi, yea i looked a .Com racing wheels and other 4x100 options but all wer over $1000 without tyres.

i have the 5series motorsport rims with tyres, then got the 5stud suspension for 400 excl offset bushes so it will come to about $800 max when its complete. Cheaper than just the rims alone.

Cool would love to see more about this setup and/or the M3 way. Gotta get some more rubber in the rear of mine very soon haha!

posted in here mine and brendons. (Im sure the regulars are getting sick of me posting this link :P )

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....t=0&start=0

P.S still trying to dig up the link for the Bilstien m3 strut replacement .. maybe have been discontinued :| I remember it worked out cheaper than m3 struts (which cost me 1800 for two fronts without inserts)

The bilstein way was going to be 2k all up including shock inserts.

Use E28 front hubs, same part essentially, only difference is the ABS ring has different no. of teeth.

Which doesn't matter if you don't have ABS, otherwise the rings can be removed & swapped over.

Thanks - very good info.

P.S still trying to dig up the link for the Bilstien m3 strut replacement .. maybe have been discontinued :| I remember it worked out cheaper than m3 struts (which cost me 1800 for two fronts without inserts)

The bilstein way was going to be 2k all up including shock inserts.

If you find it can you see if it includes the bottom part (that attaches to the ball joint - the part that is separate on an M3 compared to integrated on a non-M3).

Hi, yea i looked a .Com racing wheels and other 4x100 options but all wer over $1000 without tyres.

i have the 5series motorsport rims with tyres, then got the 5stud suspension for 400 excl offset bushes so it will come to about $800 max when its complete. Cheaper than just the rims alone.

Another $600-800 (total guesstimate - could be way more) on some E36 M3 Evo control arms and $400 for a cert and you'll be done :lol:.

Well done getting the other 5 sud stuff for $400 though.

Edited by CamB

What's the Max front camber and castor you can run with your set up?

There are some great BBKs (massive lee's kits)and wheels for the 4x100 stud pattern out there, that's why I see no need for this personally. And if wide tires want to be run, then Rota Slipsteams for about a grand, 16x8 et20, fit the bill.

It's running just shy for -4deg. camber at the moment and castor is ~9deg.

Generally there is less need to change caster and not within the same range you'd change camber anyway.

I built my E30 over 5 years ago when none of that stuff was available and was probably one of the first to document the 5lug swap back in 2004.

There is definitely a lot more 4 lug support these days, and a lot more 'product' in general is available now.

In 2003 there was no support for E30 performance parts in NZ, I had to import all the bushes from the UK, probably bimmersports first groupbuy if I recall, and wheels, well you could get anything bigger than 15's that weren't custom made (ie. simmons etc...)

Another $600-800 (total guesstimate - could be way more) on some E36 M3 Evo control arms and $400 for a cert and you'll be done :lol:.

Well done getting the other 5 sud stuff for $400 though.

Mine were $270ea I think, long time ago.

And the ti stuff was $800 from Mosen's :o

Took a set of E28 hubs apart last night, and no way they're a swap onto E30 spindles. Different depth and bore, and brakes are a whole other story as well.

If you find it can you see if it includes the bottom part (that attaches to the ball joint - the part that is separate on an M3 compared to integrated on a non-M3).

yeap it did .. it wasn't a separate part like the m3 one however. It was welded onto the strut. and painted yellow (ofcorse)

Thanks.

Took a set of E28 hubs apart last night, and no way they're a swap onto E30 spindles. Different depth and bore, and brakes are a whole other story as well.

What about onto M3 spindles.

Edited by CamB

Thanks.

What about onto M3 spindles.

Don't have any to try?

Not a swap for E30 hubs.

They fit the E30 M3 spindles.