Sign in to follow this  
isis

Johno - Price me up a set of tyres

17 inch - i think i'm running 215 at the rear. Possibly going for 225 if that doesn't screw up any geometry..

my left tyre has been eaten on the inside and hence failed my warrant.

I presume i'l have to replace both. <_<

Budget around ~500 but doesn't mean you have to sell me a set that's cost that much! :P

Looking for an all rounder with good grip in the dry & wet

Noise - the quiter the better!

Brands - i kinda like the reviews on toyo's..but throw me some and i'll do some reading.

Hoping to get it fitted this weekend at your penrose store.

Cheers

3 words Nexen, Nexen and................. Nexen.

Best bang for buck tyre around at the moment and they come in way under your budget!! In fact they are well under $400 a pair.

I have plenty of 215/45's in stock. Do a search on the forum and you will find a few guys here using them and posting great feedback.

Cheers

Johno

I have nexens and think there average, there not crap but just not great (there some of the better nexens to), there not to gripy and squeel a little round hard corners, also prone to sidewall damage- have a few bumps and now need new ones, read reviews and seems to be a common problem- have weak sidewalls). Your right on the mark with Toyo's- Ive had the T1R's and they were simply amazing, stuck like glue and yea just great- they are a bit more expensive but IMO worth as much as some tyres twice the price, you would be able to pick 225's in ur size for just under $500. Do it!

+1 for T1R's - just put them on my car and really impressed with them!! Have also used Dunlop direzza dz101's and sp sport maxx and was extremely impressed with both of those too. I haven't used nexen so have no opinion on them. Good luck!

cheers for the comments guys.

what are they like in the wet?

There good in the wet too (unless you get specific tyres designed for one or the other, they'll be good in both wet and dry). I found the T1'rs riduculous in the dry (could use them on the track), and very good in the wet. I've also used dunlop direza's (as somone else mentioned above) and they were on par, pretty much the same standard, but may have been a little better in the wet, and not quite as good in the dry (I think the direzzas were disigned as a good performing wet tyre, more specifically than the Toyos). But yea very similar, very grippy tyres, unless your trying to get the wheels spinning it won't happen, even in the wet, and I never found that cheap tyre screeching/ squeeling going round fast corners like you do with cheap tyres. I personally would go for the Toyo's, the difference in price is nothing, depending on where you go one or the other will be slightly cheaper. Not to hate on Nexen, but there tyres available, although generally cheaper than the above, are very average. I have them currently and wearing them as quickly as I can before getting some more Toyo's, there fine/ good in the dry, but have the cheap squeel, and are fairly poor (in comparison) in the wet.

My bad, got that trade-off the wrong way round- The toyo's are specifically good in the wet (there really in there domain in the wet), but I also felt just as good in the dry (direzzas may be slightly better in dry). Alot of other people comment on their amazing wet performance. Sorry for the confusion. Also road noise on both is very low. In terms of life there both the same (maybe 30 000kms) A little less than usual but that comes with being sticky like track tyres which last a 3rd of that.

My bad, got that trade-off the wrong way round- The toyo's are specifically good in the wet (there really in there domain in the wet), but I also felt just as good in the dry (direzzas may be slightly better in dry). Alot of other people comment on their amazing wet performance. Sorry for the confusion. Also road noise on both is very low. In terms of life there both the same (maybe 30 000kms) A little less than usual but that comes with being sticky like track tyres which last a 3rd of that.

Me confused. Personally i think id go with T1R's just so i could brand bash.