Sign in to follow this  
E34

E34 540i

Gday there, just wanting to know the minimum thickness of the front rotors of the E34 540i. I gave em a quick skim today as a last minute decision at work, took away the horrible brake shudder but have a feeling I might have to replace em before the sh*t hits the fan.

Also, I'm going to do the trans fluid and filter next week. chucked the car on the hoist today to check the oil level for the weekend, but couldn't find the bloody filler hole?!?! Is it next to the ID tag? (5 spd ZF Auto). Priced up a g/box filter from BMW, nearly shat myself when he said $110. Then I went to BNT... $180odd!!. Even tho I get a 45% trade discount thru work it would probably be worth it to go genuine lol.

I've searched the net, suprisingly there is not much info floating around on the 540s. bmwe34.net was a good website but now seems to have gone? The poms seem to love their gutless 520s and the yanks the 535s, but the 540 a bit of a one off.

Cheers.

Try ATP in Penrose for filter & pan gasket

The pan has 2 inhex plugs on the bottom..the small one is the drain plug...the large one is the filler and level tube

E34 vented rotor should be either 24mm or 20.4mm. It should be written on the rotor unless theyre the chinese ones. I could be wrong as I dont have all my info here at home on this computer. Whats the chassis # ??

Edited by *Glenn*

Try ATP in Penrose for filter & pan gasket

The pan has 2 inhex plugs on the bottom..the small one is the drain plug...the large one is the filler and level tube

E34 vented rotor should be either 24mm or 20.4mm. It should be written on the rotor unless theyre the chinese ones. I could be wrong as I dont have all my info here at home on this computer. Whats the chassis # ??

i think the 540i have the fatter discs 28mm by 302mm

24mm for 525i 535i 530i etc 20mm for some 520i