Sign in to follow this  
Carl

WTF is that thingymajig???

Right, since i've been playing around with my car recently i've learnt a few names for things that quite frankly I couldn't work out just by looking at it.

So if you, like me, don't have a Bently's E30 manual or an electronic guide then you've got to find things out the hard way AND sometimes the book and guide aren't much use anyway...for instance; the rubber hose that goes between the airbox and the intake manifold is called what???

According to the book it is called, funnily enough, the "hose".

According to the electronic catalog that the service centres use call it the "hump hose".

According to the guy at Shelley's, after I described it to him, it's called the "convoluted hose".

So I figure that it should henceforth be called the "convoluted air intake hump hose".

Please feel free to give this or any other thingymajig a better name.

Cheers.

at a guess it will be a vacuum hose. What it controls depends to where it fits onto/into the air box. I doubt that is has anything to do with crankcase ventilation. That would normally go from the rocker cover to block or inlet manifold.

As for the name of your hosing... don't know without seeing it.

I'll take a picture of it.

I've been told that the hose splits on most E30's so having a picture and a guide to know what to look for won't go a miss now will it :)

$69 from BMW $tealer ain't too bad either, not like the $180 fora wheel bearing :wacko:

Here's the pic, you can see where the urethane is trying to plug the tear which was causing quite a few headaches in terms of rough idle and strange low down acceleration.

post-16-1096437988.jpg

LOL - thats a flexi intake boot. No need to look that up :lol:

Dig the repair man... u should blast it with some flat black paint and try to hide it a bit better :)

In ETK - simply called 'rubber boot'

LOL - thats a flexi intake boot.  No need to look that up  :lol:

Dig the repair man...  u should blast it with some flat black paint and try to hide it a bit better :)

In ETK - simply called 'rubber boot'

See, this is my point, WTF (why the fcuk) can't all the books and ETK's agree on the same name???

At any rate, you get what i'm talking about and you should check that yours aren't ripped somewhere...

And Gus, I like my power steering, just like I like my working mirrors, accelerator, and my adjustable konis :finger:

And mods that alter ppl's posts are pussy's :gay:

Edited by ///Carl

haha big man...konis coming my way shortly....and ive gotta short shift...and leather recaros :D

it looks like a potential bong... :lol:B) :mosh:

Love the names given to things like that. As for wheel bearings, Ive just done one in my 325, It cost the warranty company $400 for brand new genuine BMW bearing thru my mechanic (sourced bearing from the $tealer)

haha big man...konis coming my way shortly....and ive gotta short shift...and leather recaros

If we're gunna have a cyber wank over what we got, I got a diesel wagon!!! :bowdown: :unsure::huh:

(yeah, that sums it up: :unsure::huh: ) :lol:

Edited by Napier_E36