Sign in to follow this  
JasonL

Idle Question

Hey All,

Friend has an 89 e30 and wants to increase his idle. wants to know if its possible if so how?

Cheers

turn the screw in the "idle control valve" out

Ah is that how, i forget what the setup is like on e30 motors lol my bad

Ah is that how, i forget what the setup is like on e30 motors lol my bad

Where can the screw be found do you have to remove all the housing. or is it hiding down the side or under it somewhere.

ahhh just realized a 89 m20 wont have it, well i don't know how they do it on a facelift :(

i suggest adjusting the throttle cable :P

why would he want to up the idle in the first place? if you adjust the accelerator cable there will be even more problems with idle, as the dme wont know if the car is iling or half throttle.check for air leaks

You will need to get a new chip to correctly increase the idle by a considerable rpm but if this is to fix a problem like the engine dying then look at fixing that problem.

His brother was using his car and played with the idle and its ideling very low. almosts dies when driving his brother is away on a OE. He lives out in the country and doesnt have internet or a garage close by to ask about this.

So I thought I would ask on here.

Well i'd ask how his brother played with the idle and if he doesn't or can't say check that the Air Flow Meter hasn't been tampered with - should have a plastic piece covering the hole, if not then could be that...but could also be a vacuum leak, the Idle Control Valve, or the Throttle Position Sensor!