Sign in to follow this  
mynbmr

Automatic gearbox wont go in gear

I took car for a drive today,just down the road and back, it went well, but the gear leaver was stiff,checked under car, had cable on wrong side of leaver on automatic gearbox, changed cable and it is smooth, but now there are no gears. Whatever gear i select, car wont move.

Fault code came on for a second but not now anymore.

Anny help welcome thanks

Dutchy

I took car for a drive today,just down the road and back, it went well, but the gear leaver was stiff,checked under car, had cable on wrong side of leaver on automatic gearbox, changed cable and it is smooth, but now there are no gears. Whatever gear i select, car wont move.

Fault code came on for a second but not now anymore.

Anny help welcome thanks

Dutchy

Loosen the cable lock nut. Put the gearlever in park and move the selector arm to park on the gearbox. Tighten the lock nut and try it again. Take safety precautions doing this with the car on axle stands.

Loosen the cable lock nut. Put the gearlever in park and move the selector arm to park on the gearbox. Tighten the lock nut and try it again. Take safety precautions doing this with the car on axle stands.

I have done that thanks Glenn but still no luck :mellow:

i had that happen to me a few years back in a e32 730i v8 .

gear lever just wouldn't move , not the cable was the mech inside teh gearbox

the plastic plunger(thats operated by the gear lever) in the gearbox valve body was sticking when it got hot . gearbox had water in it at some stage (coolant crossover from faulty radiator trans cooler).

i dropped the valve body down cleaned it all out , honned down the plastic plunger abit so it was a loser fit , and fitted back togther new filter and oil etc . got it going again , but not sure i would reccomend it .

i have anice 4l v8 and trans if you want to swap it all over .

go well with the red leather seats too.

i had that happen to me a few years back in a e32 730i v8 .

gear lever just wouldn't move , not the cable was the mech inside teh gearbox

the plastic plunger(thats operated by the gear lever) in the gearbox valve body was sticking when it got hot . gearbox had water in it at some stage (coolant crossover from faulty radiator trans cooler).

i dropped the valve body down cleaned it all out , honned down the plastic plunger abit so it was a loser fit , and fitted back togther new filter and oil etc . got it going again , but not sure i would reccomend it .

Thanks brent, it was that plastic plunger, i replaced it with an other one, tell you if it works when i take the car of the blocks <_<