Sign in to follow this  
aliluya

Modification

Hey i'm looking at this exhaust here .. It's a model engineered specially for e46 BMW 316ti s. Its model number is: 0850010501. It's 381 euros + tax.

exhaust

I was wondering what people think of it .. and I am very precise about my car and don't want to do anything wrong on it. So my questions are:

1. How much horsepower can I gain? Do I gain any torque? Do I lose power on low rpm s?

2. How are Remus silencers quality? Are they as good as original stock BMW silencers?

3. Is there going to be a disturbing sound? Is it going to be too loud? Will it be as quiet as the stock BMW exhaust?

4. Is there any other exhaust brand which you can say is better than Remus?

5. Can i get this exhasut in New Zealand?

And also i'm going over to Melbourne at the end of the year, my brother said that i could take out my ECU and take it to aussie and get it remapped, i got told by some that if i do the ecu properly and get a decent filter i'd get a boost of 10% - 15%, true or not?

What would the boost be like just for the filter or just the remapping?

Any idea the costs it would be to get it done in NZ? And where, or someone that i can contact.

Or should i just purchase an individual chip from the same aussie company.

"These computer chips will provide 8 to 12% more power to the engine with an average dynamometer tested performance read out of 10%. Our dyno can accurately measure fuel and ignition curve changes, emissions, horsepower and torque."

Can i interchange chips when ever i feel like ?

This is the filter:

"The housing is heavy gauge construction, with a washable high-flow filter element made of a thick synthetic porous material. It can withstand up to five times normal over-pressure, an important feature for cold winter starts. These are used by off-road racers, and is the best filter design available. Whilst these filters are strongly recommended for any racing situation it will also provide best protection and efficiency in daily driving."

I'm waiting on an email back from the company in australia for prices.

MY brother is looking at changing to a big supercharger so there is a possibility that he will pass his current one down to me, now my questions is:

What are everything that i need to install it in my car.

Estimation of the costs.

I'm also currently looking for the rear roof spoiler for my car, any ideas where i can get one and price. The one that goes on the back windscreen at the top if anyone knows what i mean, if not i can find a picture some where and post it up.

Thoughts? I personally think that some looks quite nice, the not-over-the-top ones, just a wee subtile one.

And please no comment like get a faster car.

A: i can't change cars

B: i just enjoy doing bits and peices to my car

Thanks in advance.

Edited by aliluya

Ok the link doesn't go directly to the page so here it is ..

085001 0501 - rear silencer with 1 tail pipe 92x78 mm

BMW - 3er, E46 - E46, 316ti Compact 1.8l 85 kW, up from 01

post-2-1096600089.gif

If it is just the muffler, expect 1% power gain, if that.

What sort of sound level are we talking about with this exhaust tho .. cause i like the look of this exhaust much more than the factory one.

I don't mind too much with not much gain or no gain, but i don't want a loss of power for some thing that looks better, if ya know what i mean.

Yo

Ummm i could be wrong here but i think ACS exhausts are re branded Remus Products. Apart from that i have heard they are pretty popular and a great product, give the NZ agent a call. From memory these guys arent cheep when you compare what you pay in Europe found that out on air filters myself.

Filter wise i wouldnt expect anything near 10% alone.

One thing you should get from a filter is a deeper sound and hopefully the feeling of free acceleration... Thats from my 6pot experience so dont quote me.

Doing anything like a professional induction and extraction system should give performance gains but not like supercar stuff also remember that the more you breath in and out the more gas you go through. Try out a performance panel filter that will fit in the standard air box. A good one should be between $100 - $200, that way you dont have to worry about spending up large of an induction system first up, Retro should be able to help out there to.

If youre just going for the look then why dont you get a BM chrome tip that will just fit straight on to your current set up. Does ACS do a slip on ??

RETRO PRODUCTS

Auckland

Tel 09 376 4442

Chips

www.powership.com.au

Seem to have a good wrap and of course are in OZ. I selected the below model but they do a non valvetronic model as i wasnt sure what yours was.

In standard form, the 316Ti E46 1.8 Valvetronic produces 85 kW and 175 Nm.

Powerchip has a range of chips to suit your car, which can increase it's power to between 96 kW and 98 kW, and it's torque to between 197 Nm and 199 Nm.

The price of the Powerchip is AUD $1,290.30.

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/interact/dat...asp?pid=Bmw0095

Supercharger

Im real sure that ur bros wont fit yours at all and it wouldnt even be cost effect to make it work...... im talking 5 figures easy.

Hope that helps

:ph34r:

Its the Million $$ question. "what will X exhaust sound like on my car?"

Its so hard to say. I put just a new free flow muffler on my old car and it was probably lounder than the same car with a full 2 1/2" mandrel bend system!

Remus are quality, if its specifically for a vehicle you cant really go wrong.

I'm not going to comment on the final sound. It depends on everything else in the system.

You will get bugger all of a performance increase and get a bit more noise, IMO.

HP or kW are a function of Torque x Revs. So anywhere you get an increase in torque, you will see an increase in HP/kW.

Powerchips website will give you a guide to what an off the shelf chip will add. 10% in general. So a thousand dollars there would be better spent than on a new muffler initially (for performance). A good air-filter $100-200 will also give a small lift.

Your motor is an air pump. More air, means you can add more fuel. ergo More HP/kW.

Tuned length headers are the way to go for ultimate tuning of your exhaust. Your car probably has 2 lengths of primary in the headers. This spreads the average torque band and makes the car more 'driveable'. Doing this you will loose torque elsewhere though and have a bigger lump somewhere. You could run a full dual system back to a muffler and replicate what the 540 has in effect.

Torque is good for moving. Horsepower only really effects your top-end speed.

If youre just going for the look then why dont you get a BM chrome tip that will just fit straight on to your current set up. Does ACS do a slip on ??

Chips

www.powership.com.au

Seem to have a good wrap and of course are in OZ. I selected the below model but they do a non valvetronic model as i wasnt sure what yours was.

In standard form, the 316Ti E46 1.8 Valvetronic produces 85 kW and 175 Nm.

Powerchip has a range of chips to suit your car, which can increase it's power to between 96 kW and 98 kW, and it's torque to between 197 Nm and 199 Nm.

The price of the Powerchip is AUD $1,290.30.

Supercharger

Im real sure that ur bros wont fit yours at all and it wouldnt even be cost effect to make it work...... im talking 5 figures easy.

Hope that helps

:ph34r:

Why do you not think that his super charger will fit into my car, we're talking about just the charger bit and nothing else. I thought that the charger bit is universal ..?

I don't mind a better looking slot on tip that actually suits. But it has to be one that doesn't show the inside bit tho. And the other thing that i liked about the Remus was the fact that the actual muffler bit looks 10x better than the factory one. lol..

What the contacts for Remus in NZ ??

And yes my car is an double vanos it's the 2004 model. 4cylinder 1.8l...

So you's recon that a $1500 chip is worth it?? but i went to the site it said that i need to unsolder the chip on my car, i was under the impression that ecu can be just unplugged ?? Or is the chip and ecu two completely different things here??

Can the change of chip be detected by BMW ? cause i got told the remapping won't be detected.

Tuned length headers are the way to go for ultimate tuning of your exhaust. Your car probably has 2 lengths of primary in the headers. This spreads the average torque band and makes the car more 'driveable'. Doing this you will loose torque elsewhere though and have a bigger lump somewhere. You could run a full dual system back to a muffler and replicate what the 540 has in effect.

Torque is good for moving. Horsepower only really effects your top-end speed.

I got told by a friend that i have a decent extractor in my car already, how do i tell ? And i have no idea what he ment by decent.

If i took a photo at some stage could some one tell me ??

Yes, If you take a picture it would be helpful.

4 into 2 into 1 is the generally accepted best practice for a 4 cylinder. The next thing is that the rest of the exhaust breaths. There is always a bottle neck in every system. I'll try to get a pic of one side of the V8. The M60 has a very nice set of BMW standard headers.

Why do you not think that his super charger will fit into my car, we're talking about just the charger bit and nothing else. I thought that the charger bit is universal ..?

I don't mind a better looking slot on tip that actually suits. But it has to be one that doesn't show the inside bit tho. And the other thing that i liked about the Remus was the fact that the actual muffler bit looks 10x better than the factory one. lol..

What the contacts for Remus in NZ ??

And yes my car is an double vanos it's the 2004 model. 4cylinder 1.8l...

So you's recon that a $1500 chip is worth it?? but i went to the site it said that i need to unsolder the chip on my car, i was under the impression that ecu can be just unplugged ?? Or is the chip and ecu two completely different things here??

Can the change of chip be detected by BMW ? cause i got told the remapping won't be detected.

Sorry for the late reply

Remus in NZ

RETRO PRODUCTS

Auckland

Tel 09 376 4442

Umm supercharger..well im not an expert but it does seem alittle out of place going from ur bros 330?? to a 1.8.

Theres a good reason im sure why you get different set ups for different engines.

Ive been looking for a SC for my 1.8 non VT and i havent found one yet.. Please prove me wrong. Still you would have to get alot of custom work under the hood to get it to work.

Investigate for sure but if you are more for show than go why bother $$$$

The chip does seem to have a good wrap from what ive read but as u said its a burn on job and personally im not to keen on that.

Exhaust ... from what i can see from BM pics of the sports kit doesnt your exhaust turn in and point down rather than pointing straight out???? If thats the case then you will have to go for a new exhaust. Can you get a pic up of its rear end?? :ph34r:

Edited by ali

aliluya from what i can tell uve already got the chrome tail pipe so the cheaper option is gone. Have you given Retro a call about the Remus??

Also MSAN from memory has a Remus on his ride. :ph34r:

Edited by ali

No not yet i intended to give them a call after my last assignment is handed in which is on sunday .. so i'll give them a call on monday . and i will also take a picture of the extarctors sometime in the week end ...

Yeah i've got chromies .. but it so tiny .. i like that remus cause in the picture it took up most the hole and it look nice .. and also if you take a look a my picture you can see the dull looking stuff on my current exhaust .. the remus has nice chormies on them too ...

No rude comments about chromes please .... i like them and that all that matters ..

:unsure: rude comments not need i guess ahah

Anyway, i know what you mean about the size of the pipe thats why im looking at the ACS option.... let us know what u come up with.

Hey thanks for your informations Ali, i'll sort see what i can get sorted out after my exams ... and i'll post up info ...

Roughly how much would that cost fitted in NZ? more then $1500 would it...seems like a very costly option but hey, it IS remus...

i also have a compact and looking round at the moment for a suitable exhaust, remus seems the option but $$$$$

:angry::angry::angry:

Right, i got into my engine bay yesterday and i could only take shots of the top of the extracors .. thats no good aye ? If it's all ya need then i'll post it up otherwise i need to jack up the car to get some shots of underneath.

Oh bugger i was supposed to post up the pictures of the induction too(in a thread wee while back i said i'd post a pic of the induction cause i said it was sh*t, oh well i will post it when i get home later tonight)

My brother has informed me that he got tuned extractors for his 330 at around $200 AUS. So i'm considering getting that. But my question is what happens if i just change the extractors and nothing else at this point? And would it be any louder if i just changed the extractors?

Thanks