Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

Not a BMW, but my new toy :p

Just got this about 2.5 weeks ago as a daily, got sick of climbing through a jungle gym to get into my e30... goes pretty hard for a jappa, and a mean sound from the factory blow off valve.

Only mods so far are :

-Pod filter

-Sony mp3/cd headunit

-Blaupunkt amp

-Rampage 12" Subs

Only picture i have so far, need to find somewhere to take some more :P

Posted Image

Just got this about 2.5 weeks ago as a daily, got sick of climbing through a jungle gym to get into my e30... goes pretty hard for a jappa, and a mean sound from the factory blow off valve.

Only mods so far are :

-Pod filter

-Sony mp3/cd headunit

-Blaupunkt amp

-Rampage 12" Subs

Only picture i have so far, need to find somewhere to take some more :P

Posted Image

Twin turbs right cut off at 180- fast but wont last long if you thrash it... give it a good caining and you will smell clutch, brakes and asb will fail dont mean to be a pessimist but its true and if you keep going engine will POP

Well,arent you the positve one !!

Good cars mate-& quick.

Twin turbs right cut off at 180- fast but wont last long if you thrash it... give it a good caining and you will smell clutch, brakes and asb will fail dont mean to be a pessimist but its true and if you keep going engine will POP

wut.

A two of my friends owned these at school. They were beaten and thrashed but never failed thanks to being maintained. Just like BMWs, if not maintained they'll go pop.

Are you speaking from experience? Or just interwebs hearsay? Being young and stupid back in school these were thrashed up and down my mate's serpentine 800m driveway in coatesville (we played too much Gran Turismo and thought we were Walter Rohl's in the making) and we didn't have clutch/brakes problems during prolonged 100-50 abuse? As far as I'm concerned those RS's were built like bricksh*thouses.

Nice car! Reminds me of days when I actually thought I was invincible. They do good heli's too :ph34r:

Seems to be fine when i'm thrashing it, especially when its only possible to use the second turbo in 1st and 2nd (legally :P)

The clutch does seem a little buggered, pedal doesn't sit quite up where it should, but works fine. And if the engine pops i'll just chuck a new one in, they are cheap enough... but even when i thrash my cars i still take proper care of them so it'll be fine.. I'm pretty sure u've gotta be mega stupid or mega unlucky to blow one of these up, and its not in my plans..

They do good heli's too :ph34r:

Thanks for the tip :P

Gotta test that one somety, nd mayb a removal of the japanese speed limiter is in order too, incase it ever sees a track.... or a 4k straight lol :ph34r:

Too be honnest the ol subaru go hard. But after working in parts and hearing the stories from mechanics i have come across few that envy them... Nice cars and all but damn they expensive to fix and too many young guns get a hold of them and thrash the living pants off them hence the reason you hear of so many braking down. Not a fan myself but they are a performer so cant bag them too much nice purchase dude hope she serves you well.

Too be honnest the ol subaru go hard. But after working in parts and hearing the stories from mechanics i have come across few that envy them... Nice cars and all but damn they expensive to fix and too many young guns get a hold of them and thrash the living pants off them hence the reason you hear of so many braking down. Not a fan myself but they are a performer so cant bag them too much nice purchase dude hope she serves you well.

Thanx, should be alright on the fixing side, i'm fairly mechanical minded...

On that note i hope its got good sparkplugs, wouldn't even know where to start in getting to them to change them, but when i do i'll be putting the most expensive, fancy long life plugs i can afford in there cos it doesn't look easy :o

Seems to be fine when i'm thrashing it, especially when its only possible to use the second turbo in 1st and 2nd (legally :P)

The clutch does seem a little buggered, pedal doesn't sit quite up where it should, but works fine. And if the engine pops i'll just chuck a new one in, they are cheap enough... but even when i thrash my cars i still take proper care of them so it'll be fine.. I'm pretty sure u've gotta be mega stupid or mega unlucky to blow one of these up, and its not in my plans..

you only just got it right? trust me dont boost it too hard.. im talking from experience have killed a few... they are mega quick i agree with that but all that speed come with a price $$$ if you are not careful thats all im saying

State the obvious lol basically the same as any car, treat it right and im sure you will have a good run :)

wut.

A two of my friends owned these at school. They were beaten and thrashed but never failed thanks to being maintained. Just like BMWs, if not maintained they'll go pop.

Are you speaking from experience? Or just interwebs hearsay? Being young and stupid back in school these were thrashed up and down my mate's serpentine 800m driveway in coatesville (we played too much Gran Turismo and thought we were Walter Rohl's in the making) and we didn't have clutch/brakes problems during prolonged 100-50 abuse? As far as I'm concerned those RS's were built like bricksh*thouses.

Nice car! Reminds me of days when I actually thought I was invincible. They do good heli's too :ph34r:

Have to agree, mate of mine has had one for 5 years and it hasn’t missed a beat due to correct maintenance.

you only just got it right? trust me dont boost it too hard.. im talking from experience have killed a few... they are mega quick i agree with that but all that speed come with a price $$$ if you are not careful thats all im saying

Mega quick, not from my experience, they go ok but are laggy down low and breathless up high, the 210kw facelifted RS goes well.

Have to agree, mate of mine has had one for 5 years and it hasn’t missed a beat due to correct maintenance.

Mega quick, not from my experience, they go ok but are laggy down low and breathless up high, the 210kw facelifted RS goes well.

I was referring to the 89/90 single turbo RS model those are Mega quick!

I was referring to the 89/90 single turbo RS model those are Mega quick!

Mega quick... they are slower again boss ;)

Didn't want to start a fuss, but Apex is right.

IIRC:

'89's were technically only GT's, auto and less 50hp from the TT's. RS's (including Type R's and Type RA versions) in '90 were single turbo with 220hp. They were pitiable and even my standard Honda ate them for lunch (ok, perhaps an unfair comparison, but they were slow).

The TT ('93~) that HUFF3R has is 250hp factory and feel a damn sight faster than the singles.

Perhaps you drove a TT converted to big single (fairly complicated and expensive process). These are modified and can't really be compared to garden variety RS's ;)

Nice car man, they are quite a bit of bang for your buck when it comes to speed.

However I am afraid I have to agree with nearly everything rjac001 has said in this thread, I had an 89 legacy rs all through high school and half of UNI, my mates have owned several subarus including the model i this thread.

Purely speaking from my experience:

A- My 89 was in fact faster than the newer model RS (don't as me how but it was).

B- 0-100 in 7 seconds on fairly stock setup (Not exactly _mega_ quick but thats bloody fast for what it was if you ask me...)

C- I spent probably over $8000 in maintenance over the years I had it and ended up selling it as a rolling shell because the engine just "popped".

D- These cars WILL fall to bits if thrashed. full stop (maintained or not).

The simple fact of the matter is, these cars were built fast and in my opinion thats why they are so damn breakable because all the other parts can't cope with all the power. Clutch goes, trans goes, pistons go, turbos go, fuel pump goes etc...

They are really nice cars, loads of options and go like stink but you must be ready to pay out of your nose in repairs if you want to "enjoy" it. Personally I would not touch an older model Subaru again with a stick (and a very long one at that).

Sorry for being so negative but I had a fun yet very expensive experience and I think it's wise to learn from others mistakes :).

So yeh, take it easy on her!

Edited by crazyarab

Didn't want to start a fuss, but Apex is right.

IIRC:

'89's were technically only GT's, auto and less 50hp from the TT's. RS's (including Type R's and Type RA versions) in '90 were single turbo with 220hp. They were pitiable and even my standard Honda ate them for lunch (ok, perhaps an unfair comparison, but they were slow).

The TT ('93~) that HUFF3R has is 250hp factory and feel a damn sight faster than the singles.

Perhaps you drove a TT converted to big single (fairly complicated and expensive process). These are modified and can't really be compared to garden variety RS's ;)

89/90 RS is manual not auto and RS RA faster again as its lighter

So you think a 91-96 RS is Quicker than a 89/90 RS with all the extra weight and turbo lag LOL

Dunno what your on about with turbo lag, sure theres some in the middle but once ur outta first gear if ur really driving hard theres no lag at all because your on the second turbo the whole time. I don't plan on thrashing it, its my daily and petrols expensive. Most the important bits have been replaced, fuel pump was done and i'm having the clutch seen to soon aswell.

Previous owners for the last 10 years never modified the car, looked after it properly, always serviced on time. I didn't meet them but was under the impression they were an older couple who bought it mostly for the comfort, and possibly to tow a caravan?

Anywayz, the fact of the matter is i like it, and its staying :P

I Don't really care how fast each model is.

But i have built 2 suburu turbo motors for 2 mates i knew who both managed to destory motors on standard boost without really giving them too much of a thrashing, they both needed new sets of lifters and engine parts were expensive compared to other makes.

IMO i would be more worried about the gearbox breaking than the engine popping, as others have said a popped engine isn't to hard to deal with ( engines are easy to refit but they are getting harded to come by as they are all getting pretty rooted from boy racers )

but gearbox's are really really hard to find and could very easily run somebody $2000 to get one fixed unless you take care of the gearbox.

Nice cars, i like them but after 2 mates who have owned both single turbo rs 1991 and twin turbo 1995 versions i am unsure if i would own one knowing it was going to driven any harder than relaxed city driving.

meh

Huffer, can I sagest ditching the pod filter, I have seen them cause problems on both the generation 2 RS and RS/GT-B.

Yeah, i have heard that one... at the moment i am looking into sorting out new ducting for the factory box and putting it back in, as i have a k&n filter for that... it needs a good clean first tho.

The only issue i have is that i'm so used to the BOV sound now i might have to go and get an aftermarket one fitted so i can still hear it :(

But i definitely don't wanna blow an AFM/engine so its on the sooner rather than later list.... lol, just helped a mate put one in his B4 too, hope that doesn't go bad :blink:

Bloody hell, so much misinformation in this thread. Especially from rjac001. Lucky it's a sedan, so as not to be a girl's car, right?

I've owned 2 subarus. First one was dodgy, and bought off an Indian guy who lied through his teeth. My first car, so naturally it was thrashed day in day out. What went wrong? Oh, nothing. A bit of the common Subaru malady of the lifters ticking, but a bit of Proma MBL8 and Castrol Magnatec and it was fine. Awesome cars. That was an 89 GT wagon.

Second suby was also a first-gen wagon, but this had close to 20g spent on it by a Subaru mechanic, over time mind you, and he kept most of the receipts. I blew up the gearbox, but that was totally my own fault (long story), and we managed to put in a WRX gearbox and diff in it for $300 ALL UP. Price up a BMW manual gearbox for that price? Other than that, the car was so so so perfect. Good power, comfortable, heaps of space. And very, very reliable.

Hasn't left a sour taste in my mouth at all.

Of course, if you get a car that was thrashed for years, then chances are it's gonna break on you, like any other car..

Nice car mate, make sure you service it and it'll treat you right

Edited by Top Secret

Thanx, should be alright on the fixing side, i'm fairly mechanical minded...

hahahahaha!

you're being a bit modest aren't you?

Maybe a bit modest :ph34r:

Definitely had to be a sedan, the day i bought it i saw too many wagons to count, 3 days after i bought it i finally saw another sedan.... plus the subs in the boot are a little better protected (and hidden so no-one round here thinks i'm a loud obnoxious teenager)