Sign in to follow this  
volcanoblack

Need Help finding tyres

Hi All,

I am having trouble finding tyres here in New Zealand as all the models are different than in the US.

I have a '93 325i and just got a set of BMW Motorsport Double Spoke 1 wheels (17 x 7.5). Tyre size should be 225/45-17 as best as I can determine. (Car has 18" on it now.)

Can Johnno help me? Or can anyone recommend a good place to buy tyres that have name brands and good prices. Will also need to ship to Golden Bay, South Island. Need a set of four.

I do not want Champiro, Duran, or Nankang or other cheap Chinese tyres.

It appears that all season tyres are not used here at all, so I want a good tyre in the wet (and dry of course). I occasionally need to drive across the Takaka Hill in light snow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all.

David Snook

Director

Auto Tyre Limited

09 8372501

This guys been great in getting me a pair of r888's. Havnt enquired about anything but toyo. They also freight

I have Toyo T1R on the M3 in that size (on the front), and they weren't that expensive (less than $500 a pair), and they seem fine. I don't personally think I can tell the difference between performance tyres (I can tell the difference between good and crap though).

Thanks for the replies, I have decided to go with a set of Kumho KU31's.

Although a summer tyre, they are apparently pretty good in light snow too. I do occasionally drive the Takaka Hill in winter and run into snow.

Cheers.

Thanks 3pedals,

The size you mention is 7.2mm (.283") smaller in diameter than the stock 205/60-15 and has a sidewall height of only about 94mm.

The 225/45-17 is 7.3mm (.287") larger in diameter and has a sidewall of approximately 101mm. The stock 60 series sidewall is 123mm.

I am trying to gain some sidewall height because I live in rural NZ with lots of rough roads and don't want a really harsh ride.

I looked at the 40 series, as on the early M3's, but thought I would trade off the width for the ride comfort.

Thanks.

No doubt the 40 series tyre will have a quicker response. All I can say is the 225/40-18 tyres that are on the car now I do not like. And my previous car, an Alfa had 40 series tyres on 17" wheels and I had many flat tyres - with no punctures or anything wrong with the tyres. So all I can assume is the bead was getting broken because the sidewall was too small. Our driveways here have quite a sharp edge.

Who knows, I may switch to the 235's next time.

The 18" wheels and Champiro's were on the car when I bought it and you are right, they did not work well at all. I believe the suspension is still stock although I have not had a chance to look closely. I have only had the car for a couple of months.

Also at my next tyre change on the 3 series I plan to go back to 235-40 on the front because the turn in on the 225-45's is too squishy for me.

He he, you'll be back on same size front and rear in no time at this rate.