Sign in to follow this  
Silver Fox

ECU remap Hi Velocity

Well, got around to getting my car to Gavin Bellars at Hi Velocity today, got a full remap of my ECU. Started with 145 hp on the stock E34 535 ECU, Gavin got it up to 170 hp, purely by remapping, no other changes at this stage.

E28_dyno.pdf

This would have to be the cheapest Hp you could ever buy, I'll certainly be going back after my engine rebuild.

You can get hold of Gavin at

Hi Velocity

16D Parity Place, Glenfield, Auckland

09 442 4451

Easy to talk to, and knows what he's doing, it's good to see someone who does things properly for a change.

Sweeet.

145 to 170 is well worth the money, how ever much it is.

Edited by skrillz

thats great Dave, must be stoked with that. Out of curiousity, what sort of time did that take, couple of hours on the dyno, must have been a fair few runs?

not bad , i got 118kw 160hp from my wifes stock e34 535i with 75,000km on the clock .

my mates e28 m535i with e34 head (sleightly lower compression on the e28 block) with a 286 cam got 125kw(170hp).

my old hartge engine i built up got 133kw 180hp with a chipped ecu (was good for 10kw compared to stock ecu).

but i havn't done a remap yet on any of the cars .

the e28 M5 engine is up next along with a map sensor upgrade to replace the old flappy afm.

AWESOME! - if you don't mind me being nosey, like the rest of us, how much/how long?

About 3 hours, and less than $500. Best value Horse power you can get.

I believe Gavin can do any BMW, and most other cars as well.

not bad , i got 118kw 160hp from my wifes stock e34 535i with 75,000km on the clock .

my mates e28 m535i with e34 head (sleightly lower compression on the e28 block) with a 286 cam got 125kw(170hp).

my old hartge engine i built up got 133kw 180hp with a chipped ecu (was good for 10kw compared to stock ecu).

but i havn't done a remap yet on any of the cars .

the e28 M5 engine is up next along with a map sensor upgrade to replace the old flappy afm.

This is from an untouched 180k standard E34, I was very happy to get to 169 hp.

Hoping for 200 plus with head flowing, cam and extractors, for next season.

Awesome...I assume that's ATW?

(guess the 540i's going to get it's ass handed to it on Friday :))

Awesome...I assume that's ATW?

(guess the 540i's going to get it's ass handed to it on Friday :) )

Yeah, rear wheel, and I'll be very embarrassed if I can't give it to you on a plate. :D

Yeah he's the man.

Its interesting - the 2002, which is basically a 4 cylinder equivalent (same rockers, for instance), made almost exactly the same hp per litre at the same rpm ... and same torque curve (flat).

Guest Spottswoode

damn that is a great result! Get rid of the afm for a maf and you'll be flying!

damn that is a great result! Get rid of the afm for a maf and you'll be flying!

That will be happening with the rebuild for sure, Gavin's looking for something at the moment. Really is good to have the tuner building a similar car at the same time. ;)

He's got the M30 3.5 out of his E30 at the moment to do a race car rebuild, cage and all.

Wow he's dropped his prices... last time i talked to him it was $800 for a full map. Then as he saves the maps he charges $90 per hour on a return visit to remap the car to suit any new mod's.

His prices are time based now I think, you'd have to ring him to find out.

He's very reasonable.

I guess cost is based on a number of things, including age of car and technology involved. I'd assume the M30 is a pretty basic unit with fairly standard changes to get the best results, hence the very reasonable cost.

Edited by Silver Fox

i had the 306 dyno'd there. He's a very very nice guy.

I'm going to take the 205 there once it's fixed

Can you explain this a bit:: - various factory versions of the E28 and E34 535 ranged from 218 to 211 Hp DIN

So 170 HP at the wheels is about stock for a 218 Hp E 28 535 - where does the 145 come from and how does the E34 ECU fit into the picture??

Dyno Dynamics measures the lowest / is most conservative? Same dyno gave 102hp atw for my very healthy, low mileage factory replacement engine 2 litre M10 (factory output supposedly 130hp at the crank).

The E34 ECU is what I'm using as the engine is from an E34. The 145 was the first reading from the ECU before Gavin started his work, I'd guess from Cam's comment that equates to around 195 to 200 at the flywheel, probably where a 180,000 mile, not k's, would be around?

The 170 which it ended at would be around 225 flywheel, a gain of around 15hp on factory new, the engine is the low compression 211 hp version.

My calcs would give that 181 Fly wheel HP at the start and 212 at the finish so just about on the button for stock for a manual or closer to the 225 mark for an auto

So that would suggest the motor was in a fairly sad state of tune but basically sound - not bad for 180,000 Miles

its fine.

my wifes stock 1990 e34 535i 5spd . 3.45diff , put out 118kw 160hp at the wheels .

very low millage car 75000km on the same dyno .

so if he's getting more now with aremap thats' pretty good.

i got 132kw out of a hartge engine i built up a few years ago .

gavin's old alpina B10 e34 got 140kw on his dyno .

so all about right for waht they are.

I heard somone say MAF. Anway does anyone Know if an 328 (e36 97) has a MAF, or just the standard AFM?? cheers.

it has a hot wire system , so probably no point in changing it.

I heard somone say MAF. Anway does anyone Know if an 328 (e36 97) has a MAF, or just the standard AFM?? cheers.

whats the difference? my idea is that the mass air flow sensor measures exactly that...

and the air flow meter measure air speed then converts that to mass air flow.

is that correct?

whats the difference? my idea is that the mass air flow sensor measures exactly that...

and the air flow meter measure air speed then converts that to mass air flow.

is that correct?

Specifically hot wire- MAF, its less restrictive than some of the older AFM, supposedly a few horses/ throtle response to be gained- espically when you done other mods and have it remapped. Thanks whoever just confirmed its a wire... I thought that might be the case, which is great and will just leave it.

Specifically hot wire- MAF, its less restrictive than some of the older AFM, supposedly a few horses/ throtle response to be gained- espically when you done other mods and have it remapped. Thanks whoever just confirmed its a wire... I thought that might be the case, which is great and will just leave it.

there is also a ultrasonic type that measures air disturbance with a ultrasonic beam and receiver inside a tube like a hotwire system .

the hot wire system can fail , wire burns out or changes resitance as the wire degrades.

the old air flap meter type wears the resistance track and the spring bimetal changes its tension over the years(actually gets tighter making the car run leaner)

the map sensors can fail sometimes when engine backfires into the intake manifold

(had that happen to me in my VPcommy 3.8 V6)

but i think the new ones that they sell can handle boost and vacuum no problem.