Sign in to follow this  
volcanoblack

Using E46 rotors and carriers on E36

Has anyone done this swap? (posted in this forum a while back IIRC)

Upgrade for the E36's, it involves swapping to E46 328/325 or Z3 3.0 brakes.

You just need the carriers for the swap, keep your current caliper's and pad fitment with much bigger rotors.

Since I will need a set of rotors for my '93 325i pretty soon, I thought this would be a great upgrade with only the additional cost of the carriers.

I have 17" Motorsport Double Spoke 1 wheels.

Cheers.

I think I might have read of it being 330i brakes - try googling that.

I'm not sure you actually **need** to do it though.

Hi again,

I drive over the Takaka Hill - which is very curvy and on the downhill side I work the brakes very hard. I was thinking that the extra disc diameter and mass would help keep them a bit cooler. Not mandatory, but a nice upgrade to dissipate a bit more heat. Also for the occasional day at the track with the club.

My thinking was that if it was easy, and could use good BMW parts, and was not too much money (since it is only the extra cost of the carriers)- then why not.

Cheers.

Is the caliper size increasing or just the disc and pad size? If you increase the caliper size you will also probably want to have a look at increasing the master cylinder size or you will get a soft brake pedal. You might also unset the brake balance by increasing the front brake calipers size.

The increase in mass would cause an increase in unsprung weight and heavier steering, you might just want to look at upgrading the pads and fluid your using first. You want to try and avoid adding unsprung weight to the car, well any weight if you can (yes adding weight to improve car balance is done).

I'm not to sure with the BMW but i know in most cars the factory setup isn't too bad, and it can be substancially improved with a decent set of pads.

When you brakes are over heating whats happening to the pedal? Are you still getting a firm pedal (pad fade) or is your pedal going to the floor (over heated brake fuild)?

Alot of people upgrade to a mintex 1144 for fast road use and 1155 for race/fast road in heavy cars... Feredo, EBC, and Endless are also well respected brands. Mintex if i remember correctly (which i probably don't) are around 130 - 150 for a front set when you supply the backing plate.

If you go to somewhere like racebrakes you can get special paint put onto the disc to indicate how hot the discs are getting (do you need to upgrade these?), from what i remember it's 3 different strips that burn off at different temps indicating the range of temps the disc is getting to.

Edited by DRTDVL

Thanks for the replies. I know the stock BMW brakes are good. I know I don't need a Brembo big brake kit.

No it is not an automatic. Yes, I would be adding some weight and I understand about unsprung weight but it would be to the benefit of keeping the rotors (and everything else) cooler. I am not overheating the brakes now, and no I don't have the brake pedal going to the floor or anything else. I just know the brakes are hot. All I am wanting to do is reduce that heat some. Peace of mind is nice after a spirited 10km downhill drive (all within the speed limit, and not crossing the centre line).

I am using the 17" Motorsport DS1 wheel which is light, and select tyres that are good and as light as possible. A pound lighter tyre would offset the pound heavier disc and the whole brake setup would stay cooler.

As stated in my original post, this setup supposedly uses the stock caliper and pads. I thought if all I had to do was buy a set of carriers, then it might be worth doing when I replace my discs next. Have any of you that have replied done this?

Anyone out there who has done this and can tell me if in fact all I need to buy to fit the larger discs are the carriers (as well as the new bigger disc). And is this, in fact, a simple bolt on change.

Thanks for your help.

I'm running E36 328 front callipers & rotors, E36 318TI rear callipers and standard non ventilated discs on the rear with standard OEM pads all round on mine and have had no problems. I drive the car very hard at times and braking is never an issue. Yet to check it out in track conditions, which I'm hoping to do this Friday out at Puke. Going to E46 330 upgrade for a road car is probably unnecessary and as someone else has already said, you will need carriers, callipers, rotors and pads. However... if thats what you want....why not....go for it. I was going to do it... but dont find it necessary... why waste $$$$. Even the standard rear solid discs on the 318TI dont give me any problems.

Most of the braking is taken up on the front anyway. I've gone through 2 sets of standard pads on the front now and the rear pads are only half worn since doing the M52B28 conversion and the car has done 24k in that time. They are due to be changed now and I'm thinking of going Brembo slotted and drilled rotors up front and retain OEM pads.

My understanding is the E46 disc is thicker and uses a wider caliper so it is not so straight forward

I think he is referring to the E46 328i carriers which go with the 300x22mm discs and can use the E36 caliper.

The E46 330i uses the thick 325x25mm disc, which also can be used on the E36, but you need the calipers/carriers & discs.

Matching rear E46 328i discs & calipers would be a good upgrade also 294x19mm

I've gone through 2 sets of standard pads on the front now and the rear pads are only half worn since doing the M52B28 conversion and the car has done 24k in that time.

You aren't kidding about being hard on them!

Yes, E30-323ti is correct, I am thinking about using the E46 328 carrier and discs. with the stock E36 caliper.

I checked at the dealer and the caliper for the E46 328 and E36 are the same part number so the only extra thing I need to buy when I replace my discs is the carriers.

Seems like a really cheap way to gain a bit of brake cooling and stopping power.

Keen to hear your assessment of the Brembos

They performed well yesterday at track day... I fitted them last Wednesday and did about 100km before track day. I'm using Brembo rotors & OEM pads... definately no fade, shudder or any other issues. I'm happy with them. After yesterday I'm going 3pedals now :P Manual select auto on a track does not work... I new it was coming though

Any more bite or feel compared to the BM rotors and where did you get them ? and which type?

Can you squeeze a 6 speed M3 box behind that M52??

I got the Brembo rotors from B&T $130 + Gst each. Felt the same didnt get any fade or overheating problems. Their part number was 09.5390.77. They werent drilled though...just slotted

I dont think the 6 speed would fit... issues with the drive tunnel I'm told. I'm just going to fit a S5D 250 G. The cars a bit lighter than a sedan, so I'm sure it'll do the job. Check out my new project thread.

Now that I know that E46 rotors and carriers for the 328 will fit with my E36 calipers I am looking for a floating rotor in that size (300x22) to keep the weight down since it is bigger than the E36 rotor. I would prefer not to add the extra 2 or so pounds if I can avoid it.

Anyone know of a lightweight E46 rotor source? TurnerMotorsports only has the bigger Euro M3 floating rotors.

Thanks for your help - I am searching all the internet sources for BMW performance parts I can find - with no luck yet.

Cheers.