Sign in to follow this  
b-buzzin

Car just.....Died!

Been running a f@CKd battery in my 87 320i the last few days borrowed my mates good one to get to hams in back but since then put my dud in that needs a jump start.. Jump started it last night then the car just died when driving down the road!!!!

went and got a good one but she wont start weird thing is the battery light is on but ive put a good one in so im asuming the ecu put it in some trouble shoot mode or sumin due to me using a crap batt in it???

any help appreciated...

Sounds like the alternator's gone?

hmmm dont think so took the car to hams i the w.e.. she didnt miss a beat and the batt i had then was sweet and didnt loose power the whole time. could it be some ecu thing ?

when the alt is gone the light will stay on when car is runing ,

maybe you should replace the earth strap . if its to thin it wont pass eough currant to start the car .

i have earth straps if needed

in papakura

if you reversed the battery wires you will kill the ecu

Did you roll start? or Jump with leads? when jump starting with leads on EFI cars you need to be carful cause too much current and you can fry the fuel pump and or starter motor relays! Check to see if they are ok located just forward of the main fuse box with a black plastic cover.

Edit* but definatly replace the earth wire if your not happy with it and make sure you get a good contact to the chasis/body

Edited by rjac001

yeah il definately sort out the earthing wire but as for the fuel pumps shes working and the starter motor seems to be working gud too, turns over etc cars been sitting for a day or so il give her a go later on 2nyte..

ive heard that when its been raining hard and the cars on a lean (up hill) some times the ecu will get wet and fault, and well its been raining hard and the cars been on a lean so could be the case il check it out..

Did you roll start? or Jump with leads? when jump starting with leads on EFI cars you need to be carful cause too much current and you can fry the fuel pump and or starter motor relays! Check to see if they are ok located just forward of the main fuse box with a black plastic cover.

Edit* but definatly replace the earth wire if your not happy with it and make sure you get a good contact to the chasis/body

Yeah mate think your right about the fuel pump shes a no go, no fuel coming from the fuel filter at all shes dead.. im guessing i need a new fuel pump or need to replace these relays things but im not too sure where they are? i know where my fuse box is but dont know what these relays look like??

AYE WHAT??

Yeah mate think your right about the fuel pump shes a no go, no fuel coming from the fuel filter at all shes dead.. im guessing i need a new fuel pump or need to replace these relays things but im not too sure where they are? i know where my fuse box is but dont know what these relays look like??

Check the relays in the box circled in the pic

ahh yeah how do you check em there inclosed in all... il just replace it anyways cheers/

Any luck dude? Have you replaced the relay?