Sign in to follow this  
Apex

SMG II

What’s general consensus on the SMG II gearboxes fitted to the 2001-2002 BMW M3’?

Do they have issues/bugs?

Pro’s/Cons?

Feedback from people who have actually had long term experience with them would be appreciated, don’t want to hear from know-alls that have little to no experience :)

Personally I prefer manual over SMG but on the whole SMG is a good system once you get used to it.

My experience amounts to about 2000kms of SMG driving (2 E46 M3s) and probably only 100kms of manual M3 driving (4 E46 M3s) so probably not the long term info you are after.

Its something you have to try yourself and see if it suits you. In its harshest mode with full throttle it is far harder on the car than a person probably ever could but it most certainly changes faster than a human could. In the lesser modes it can be difficult to find a program that exactly suits you and you end up meeting its requirements rather than the car meeting yours. I found the auto mode especially to be a little frustrating, particularly during clity driving.

I believe SMG was only available from 02 onwards - I haven't seen an 01 car with SMG.

If SMG breaks it can be costly to repair but failures are relatively uncommon proided that the car has been looked after. The gearbox / clutch itself is the same as the manual car - its the ancilleries - pumps, modules, etc that can fail and cost a fortune. There have been software upgrades for SMG and by now all cars should have been done. I also think some of the very early cars had a recall.

Upsides are that you get paddles and launch control and over time driving it will become smooth. If you want an SMG car you have a much larger selection as the majority of cars 02 onwards were SMG.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks that help a lot.

Reason I ask is that on test drives in these sorts of cars I am often nervous and don’t get to have a good feel as to how something works nor do I get to give the car a good workout as the dealer/owner is sitting there.

Yes, thanks that help a lot.

Reason I ask is that on test drives in these sorts of cars I am often nervous and don’t get to have a good feel as to how something works nor do I get to give the car a good workout as the dealer/owner is sitting there.

Is there a particular car you are looking at? I've got a record of pretty much every E46 M3 that has been advertised over the last 12 months and may be able to give you some additional info.

Is there a particular car you are looking at? I've got a record of pretty much every E46 M3 that has been advertised over the last 12 months and may be able to give you some additional info.

No. We were just offered one cheep that belongs to a friend of my mother, they are trading up to a new one and offered it to her at trade-in price, very tempting.

Thanks.

Guest Simon*

No. We were just offered one cheep that belongs to a friend of my mother, they are trading up to a new one and offered it to her at trade-in price, very tempting.

Thanks.

DO IT :ph34r:

Thanks.

I'd be really interested to know the spec of the car (kms, etc) and what they were offered as a trade. Please PM me if you feel comfortable sharing the price and info.

I think the price of E46 M3s should be closely aligned to V8 S4 pricing - they cost roughly the same new and were aimed at the same market. A NZ new 05 S4 done 51kms sold for $35k earlier today but an 05 M3 is probably worth $20k more than that. Is it that M3 prices are currently unrealistic or is the market flooded with S4s?

Sorry to go a little off topic on this one!!

There will be a black one coming up at Turners Akld soon. NZ New, manual, around 125kms. That will give you an idea of value, or a bargain. . . .

Nope. It's court seized for unpaid fines is all I can add and has a loser personalised plate.

This one?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-205463470.htm

Its something you have to try yourself and see if it suits you. In its harshest mode with full throttle it is far harder on the car than a person probably ever could but it most certainly changes faster than a human could. In the lesser modes it can be difficult to find a program that exactly suits you and you end up meeting its requirements rather than the car meeting yours. I found the auto mode especially to be a little frustrating, particularly during clity driving.

80 milliseconds for the fastest shifting mode - just slightly slower than a very good professional driver if I am not mistaken. It is very harsh on the drivetrain on this mode and I personally don't recommend it unless you were on the track. Best programs to be driving around in around town would be S3 or S4.

Auto mode isn't actually too bad if you know what to anticipate, but it can be a jerky if not driven properly.

I would say this. Having owned two E46 M3s in 3 pedal manual and the CSL in SMG only, I have to say that the SMG trumps the 6 speed in every way. It's a better system period - you just have to learn to drive it. Most make the mistake and think the car is a tiptronic of some sort - forget that mind set and drive it like you would a manual car and it's brilliant and does everything perfectly everytime.

You also get better clutch wear with the SMG - which is next to nothing, provided you get the clutch take up point reinitialised on a regular basis.

I believe SMG was only available from 02 onwards - I haven't seen an 01 car with SMG.

Correct.

If SMG breaks it can be costly to repair but failures are relatively uncommon proided that the car has been looked after. The gearbox / clutch itself is the same as the manual car - its the ancilleries - pumps, modules, etc that can fail and cost a fortune. There have been software upgrades for SMG and by now all cars should have been done. I also think some of the very early cars had a recall.

The manual gearbox between the 6 speed and SMG is identical minus a few parts in the SMG box - but they are basically the same thing. There are two major components in the SMG - the SMG brain and the hydrailics. The hydraulics is actually very reliable - basically a pump with a high pressure accumulator and hydraulic lines - that's it. The rest of the system is controlled by the brain.

Major known issues are:

- SMG relay - controls the accumulator pump (salmon colour) - there was a recall on these and the new ones are very reliable.

- SMG Pump - when these go, it's actually the accumulator that craps out, not the pump itself. But in true BMW fashion, you have to buy the whole thing, not just the accumulator - the pump is VERY expensive (over $2500 retail plus labour to fit - actually not a hard job, but it does require reprogramming via GT1)

The system is self learning and the key with SMG is to "NOT TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE THROTTLE ON UP OR DOWN SHIFTS" - You should have trouble free motoring as a result with no issues of premature clutch wear, kangarooing down the road and clutch slurring issues.

And if you are racing a SMG car ... get a cooler for the hydraulics.

Edited by M3_Power