Sign in to follow this  
Carl

Clean your intake

When I replaced my convoluted flexible intake hump hose the other day I noticed that my intake manifold and AFM had a bit of a deposit build up so it was time to clean it properly to let that air flow on through nicely.

All you need to do this is a flathead screwdriver to release the hose clamps, a spanner to release the AFM, and a can of carburettor cleaner to clean out the intake system.

First things firt, remove the AFM so you can clean it and this also makes getting the intake hose off and on easier.

post-6-1096867550.jpg

After taking off the AFM, remove the intake hose. In the pic i've already cleaned a little of the intake manifold but you can see some of the deposit build up.

post-6-1096867615.jpg

With the hose and AFM off (edited: and the engine turned off), place a rag underneath the intake manifold so you don't get the cleaner on your pipes. Hold open the throttle bottle (on the top, don't poke the butterfly) and spray into the intake manifold in bursts until you're happy with what runs out...took a few minutes and a bit of spraying to really clean mine out.

post-6-1096867780.jpg

Edited by ///Carl

Next step is to clean out the AFM by spraying and brushing until you're satisfied with the result.

post-6-1096867909.jpg

Edited by ///Carl

Then put it all back together they way you took it off and run the engine (that's what the can says anyway but I wanted to go feel the results :lol: )

For best results do all this with a warm engine

post-6-1096868024.jpg

Next step is to clean out the AFM, you can see the gunk in this pic quite well. This is simply a matter of spraying and brushing until you're satisfied with the result. Graeme (gmmcormick) said once before (I think it was Grame) that a gunky AFM may cause rough idle or acceleration lag so make sure you're happy with it.

Not exactly, It was the ICV that can get gunked up and cause hard starting and poor idle

no

F**k me, that's a really interesting observation since you're up in Auckland and i'm down in Wellington 650kms away :wacko:

The answer is yes, it has made an improvement in that the idle is smoother and it makes the engine sound sweeter - but it is in no way a performace enhancer so you won't gain any horsies from it.

One possible cause for getting an oily film deposit throughout the intake system was hypothesized by Glenn in that oil can get into the intake system via the TPS which isn't a good thing for the intake system.

I did this recently (to a lesser degree...I just used a rag etc, not actual carb cleaner). The reaon I did this was that the flap in the AFM was binding slightly just after start up, causing a bad idle and really rough running for the first few seconds of driving.

Cleaning the AFM made a massive difference to the idle at cold start up in my car (the AFM was dirty enough inside to cause the flap to bind).

Cheers

One possible cause for getting an oily film deposit throughout the intake system was hypothesized by Glenn in that oil can get into the intake system via the TPS which isn't a good thing for the intake system.

Not quite how I put it.

The oil gets into the intake manifold from the breather on the valve cover, this gives everything a nice coating in black goo after years of use.

This gooey oil mess can also end up in your TPS (which is on the under side of the throttle body) which can cause the engine to run badly.

The throttle body needs to be removed to get to the TPS, from there it is easy to remove, disassemble and clean (carb cleaner again), once again, no dramatic HP increases but a M20 (May also apply to M10/40's etc...) that runs smoother.

F**k me, that's a really interesting observation since you're up in Auckland and i'm down in Wellington 650kms away :wacko:

settle down chiko :rolleyes:

oh its 660km not including coming from the northshore. :jap:

add another 10-20k from central auckland to andys house

oh its 660km not including coming from the northshore. :jap:
You're really missing the point here, who gives a left testicle about how far akld is from Welly, why don't you post something constructive...or is it that you can't???

Thank you Graeme, Grant, and Glenn for contributing something useful here

kind of a thread highjack but not really just a question that doesnt deserve its own thread ... sorry carl

is anyone else here running a pod filter ???

ive heard people say they cause problems but i love mine.

kind of a thread highjack but not really just a question that doesnt deserve its own thread ... sorry carl

is anyone else here running a pod filter ???

ive heard people say they cause problems but i love mine.

I am, but it makes no difference I don't think (however I am in the middle of making a heat shield for it), but it does sound pretty cool under WOT.

Cheers

OT/FYI: Any oiled filters can cause probs on "hot wire" AFM cars (subaru's Nissan's ...)

Some oil from the filter gets sucked through and deposited on the wire, when the engine is turned off most ecu's do a self clean of the hot wire by heating it up "alot" this is when te damage occurs and leads to the AFM failure.