Sign in to follow this  
petone

Muffler

My factory muffler is falling to bits, its rusting and the baffles inside have broken so it makes a really annoying rattling noise. So, time for a new one.

Anybody got any ideas? I will probably only end up doing the end muffler, I'm after something that sits higher than the old one so i don't scrape it all the time, and i'd like it to sound better and be just a little bit louder if ya know what i mean. Oh yeah if it looks good all the better. Should i just go shopping at repco or does anyone have any ideas where to go in Lower Hutt.

Also, is it worth getting the middle muffler cut out and putting a coby in instead? Would this give much of a performance increase and how much louder would it be?

BTW The old man's pretty handy with the gas torch so I'd probably get him to do it.

Thanks for any ideas guys,

Mike

replace both mufflers with cobys.

it made mine,carls and ian's more rev happy

I cut out a cat and stuck in two coby's which made a hua of an improvement but your gains won't be as significant since a cat is infinately more restrictive than a muffler.

The gains really depend on what your muffler is that you're thinking of cutting out. If it's a stocker from a muffler place then you'd get more gains than if it were a free flow or something.

Coby's will of course give it more of a throaty burble and if that's what you want then go spend $200 at Tuffy's Auto Centre in Lower Hutt for a two coby's muffler replacement - it's worth it but be sure to inform your insurance company after you do it.

I cut out a cat and stuck in two coby's which made a hua of an improvement but your gains won't be as significant since a cat is infinately more restrictive than a muffler.

The gains really depend on what your muffler is that you're thinking of cutting out. If it's a stocker from a muffler place then you'd get more gains than if it were a free flow or something.

Coby's will of course give it more of a throaty burble and if that's what you want then go spend $200 at Tuffy's Auto Centre in Lower Hutt for a two coby's muffler replacement - it's worth it but be sure to inform your insurance company after you do it.

get the cat cut and just smash the insides out with a metal pipe, then put it back. it still looks like you have the cat, just none of the restrictions... but then you lose the $$$ if you wanted to take it out and sell.. precious metals and all... and then in a few years when restrictions come on exhausts you will need to buy a new one.. which = $$$$.... so yea

coby = cheese grater inside, get some sort of turbo flow muffler.. just watch the "increase in db above factory"

Mike, Come and take my old one away!!

Single 2.25" with long coby in the centre and a triple flow type rear muffler.

complete up to the firewall.

Free too!!

I'll prolly be at the WS tonight if you want to come and grab it.

025 324 919

Why didn't I think of that, do it Mike, it's in good condition too

Might drop by and say hello later tonight Glenn, perhaps kick a tyre or two aswell

dont forget me, twin 2" with 4 cobys (2 per pipe)

noticable difference

Edited by bmwsparkle

Finally got Glen's old exhaust system on!

I like how it sounds, not too loud but still has a nice rumble, not to bad for a 1.8

Only problem is the muffler is sitting too high at the back so I'll make up a new braket tomorrow.

Cheers Glen!

PS- I'll drop those seats round as sometime soon.