Sign in to follow this  
soarer260@hotmail.com

E34 540i Remote Key question

Hi Guys,

My 1993 E34 came with a factory dual button remote key, which doesn't work - and yes Ive put new batteries in.

After looking around on the internet I found that apparently the control box is under the backseat where you can do a few things to re-program the key, however mine is clearly not there, just a fuse box on the passenger side and the battery on the drivers side.

Does this mean it didn't come with the unit and my car doesnt actually have this feature, even though I have the key?

It's not big deal but never the less of interest just to see if I can get it to work

Cheers

Mike

Just check that the previous owner didn't go swimming with it. No jokes. I did with mine over Christmas and it doesn't work remotely anymore :(

Just check that the previous owner didn't go swimming with it. No jokes. I did with mine over Christmas and it doesn't work remotely anymore :(

If you ever do that, immediately remove the battery and immerse the key in fresh water

Wash and rinse it thoroughly then let it dry completely. It'll work afterwards

The trick is to remove the highly corrosive salt water straight away. Leave the salt water there and it will corrode the electronics.

Bugger wish I'd known that when I did it.

Still don't work for me, tried as per the book, and another method I'd read where you have to facemecxca & run anticlockwise 3x around the car, with the key betwen your teeth, holding the round button down with your teeeth.

The LED on the remote works!????

und button down with your teeeth.

The LED on the remote works!????

If the LED works then the remote is working.

The problem lies in the synchronisation with your car.

Try resyncing again

If the LED works then the remote is working.

The problem lies in the synchronisation with your car.

Try resyncing again

tanks for that, what else is there that can be done?

Like if the key's fine is there something on the car, like what above was saying, under the back seat??

I gotta go in to see my friendly service repair wrecker fella, need 2 new control arm bushes...

Last time he told me I'd need a new key $500!

If it come to that I'd put an aftermarket remote/alarm on it!